"Chandigarh - India's only planned modern city" Top 5 Page for this destination Chandigarh by Willettsworld
Chandigarh Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 241 photos
Chandigarh is located approx 300km (200 miles) north of Delhi in its own union terriority. Chandigarh is India's only planned modern city and built in the 1950's after the state of Punjab lost its capital, Lahore, to Pakistan after the partition of India following independence from the British in 1947. Punjab needed a capital and so architects from around the world were asked to submit plans. Several buildings and layouts in Chandigarh were designed by the Swiss-born French architect and planner, Le Corbusier. Le Corbusier was in fact the second architect of the city, after the initial master plan was prepared by the American architect-planner Albert Mayer who was working with the Polish-born architect Matthew Nowicki. It was only after Nowicki's untimely death in 1950 that Le Corbusier was pulled into the project.
Chandigarh is divided into numbered sectors, each one measuring roughly a square kilometre. The sectors run in a SW to NE orientation with sector 1, containing the city's political and legal buildings, being located NE of the city centre in sector 17. I spent two days here after leaving Delhi for two reasons. Firstly, it was on my way to Shimla and I wanted to break the journey up and secondly, I was intrigued as to what an Indian modern city looked like, bearing in mind that I live in one myself in England. In fact, when I visited the City Museum, it mentioned that Le Corbusier took inspiration from Ebenezer Howard who founded the world's first Garden City, Letchworth, (near where I live), and my home town, Welwyn Garden City - the world's second Garden City. Even though Chandigarh is only 50 or so years old, it's already showing its age. Yes, it has nice straight tree-lined dual-carriageway boulevards and nice green parks but its buildings, mostly all made out of concrete, show water marks from monsoon downpours and some haven't been finished. But the city does offer the visitor some interesting and querky sights such as the Nek Chand's Rock Garden and some good museums
Located in the shopping centre in sector 17, Lyon's is a rather posh restaurant. On their menu under continental cuisine... more travel advice
Chandigarh's shopping centre is located in sector 17 and reminds me a lot of the one in Stevenage, a modern town dating... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Chandigarh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chandigarh - India's only planned modern city"
- "A lot more than meets the eye"
- "Chandigarh, India"
- "chandigarh-The planned city"
- "Eccentric City with an Austere Facade!!"
- "Planned city ... just like home!"
- "Le Corbusier's vision"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chandigarh
- Hotels in Chandigarh
- Transportation in Chandigarh
- Restaurants in Chandigarh
- Shopping in Chandigarh
- Warnings and Dangers in Chandigarh
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chandigarh
- 24 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Chandigarh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chandigarh
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Chandigarh hotel reviews
- Shivalik View Hotel Chandigarh
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 18, 2013
- Taj Chandigarh
- 467 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- City Heart Hotel Sec 18
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 17, 2013
- Hotel Park Grand
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Hotel Sun Park
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Hotel Sunbeam
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013