"Gwalior - home to the Scindia's" Top 5 Page for this destination Gwalior by Willettsworld
Gwalior Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 293 photos
Gwalior lies about 76 miles (121km) south of Agra and about 200 miles (321km) from Delhi. The city is easy to reach from either city as it's located on the main Delhi-Bhopal railway line. Most people pass through the city on their way from Agra to the more touristy sites of Orchha and Khajuraho. But this doesn't mean that there isn't anything to see or do here. There is.
There are two main tourist attractions in Gwalior. Firstly, there's the magnificent 3km long fort which looks down over the city from on top of a 100m high basalt hill. Within its dominating walls lie many ruined palaces, a few temples dating from the 9th-11th centuries and the highlight, the early 16th century Man Singh Palace. The western approach to the fort is lined with rows of Jain rock sculptures that date from the mid-15th century of which the tallest, at 17 metres, is the largest in northern India. The other main attraction of Gwalior lies outside the forts southern wall in the centre of the city. The ruling maharajas of Gwalior built the Jai Vilas Palace in the late 19th century which is built in the style of the 'Palais de Versailles' in France combining Tuscan, Italian and Corinthian styles of architecture. The palace is open as a museum which features many peculiar objects, furniture and decorative tastes such as the world's largest chandeliers each weighing 3.5 tonnes.
If you're thinking of passing through Gwalior, why not stop here like I did for a couple of days to take in what the city has to offer. The city is off the beaten tourist path, in fact I only saw a few western tourists here.
On the northern end of Gwalior Fort lies this cenotaph of Maharaja Bhim Singh Rana (1707-56) who was the most powerful... more travel advice
I had come across these potato triangle things in Delhi but didn't know what they were called which was a shame as I... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Gwalior Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gwalior - home to the Scindia's"
- "Capital of Sindhias Gwalior"
- "Glorious Gwalior"
- "A convenient stop from Agra to Khajuraho"
- "Gwalior - hidden treasure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gwalior
- Hotels in Gwalior
- Transportation in Gwalior
- Restaurants in Gwalior
- Warnings and Dangers in Gwalior
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Gwalior
- 49 Reviews
- 189 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Gwalior?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gwalior
Photos in GwaliorSee All Photos (189)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues