"Erotic goings-on at Khajuraho" Khajuraho by Willettsworld
Khajuraho Travel Guide: 262 reviews and 801 photos
Khajuraho is a village located in northern Madhya Pradesh about 385 miles (620km) southeast of Delhi. I came here, by bus, after visiting Orchha and before taking the bus back to Jhansi and then on to Lucknow.
Khajuraho is one of India's top tourist destinations so expect lots of hotels (budget, mid-range and top-end), internet cafes, restaurants selling Indian, Chinese and western cuisine; and tacky souvenir shops. Really the village is split into two with the touristy bits around the western group of temples and the village itself to the east. If you have limited time then you might only get to see the western group of temples but if you have more time then take a trip into Khajuraho village itself to experience rural village life.
The reason why it attracts so many visitors is due to the fact that it was once the original capital of the Chandela Rajputs that once ruled this part of India from the 10th to the 12th centuries. They originally built some 80 Hindu temples, of which only 22 now stand, scattered over an area of about 8 sq miles. The best and most decorative of these lie in an enclosed compound known as the western group. These were all built over a 100 year period between 950 and 1050 A.D. and have been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The temples feature detailed erotic scenes that have been carved into the external panels. When the erotic panels were first viewed by western eyes in the 19th century, they caused an outcry and have done ever since. Scholars are uncertain as to why there is so much eroticism on display here but one theory is that the carved panels acted as a how-to manual for adolescent Brahmin boys growing up in all-male temple schools. Another theory claims that the figures were thought to prevent the temples being struck by lightning, by appeasing the rain god Indra.
Khajuraho is a tricky place to get to as there is no direct train line so you have to come by bus which takes 4-5 hours from Jhansi which lies on the Delhi-Bhopal line or by a combination of bus and rail from Varanasi via Satna. If your time is limited in India then you might not be able to spare a couple of days to get here, visit and get out but if your schedule takes you to Varanasi then you shouldn't miss out on visiting here.
Wherever you find water in India, you'll bound to find people washing clothes or themselves in it! The stagnant water of... more travel advice
This temple is located in the souther group about 1km south of the Jain temples next to the Khodar River. It is... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Khajuraho Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Khajuraho"
- "Temples of Khajuraho"
- "Eternal Expressions of Love Khajuraho"
- "Amazing Temples"
- "Journal: Donna & Sandy in Khajuraho"
- "The Famed "Erotic" Temples of Khajuraho"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khajuraho
- Hotels in Khajuraho
- Transportation in Khajuraho
- Nightlife in Khajuraho
- Restaurants in Khajuraho
- Shopping in Khajuraho
- Warnings and Dangers in Khajuraho
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Khajuraho
- 43 Reviews
- 176 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Khajuraho?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khajuraho
Photos in KhajurahoSee All Photos (176)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Khajuraho hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Khajuraho
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- The Jass Oberoi
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 4, 2011
- The Lalit Temple View Khajuraho
- 79 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Zen Hotel
- 218 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Chandela Hotel
- 210 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Hotel Usha Bundela
- 101 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel Lakeside
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Hotel Surya
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013