"The Siege of Lucknow" Top 5 Page for this destination Lucknow by Willettsworld
Lucknow Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 426 photos
Lucknow, the state capital of Uttar Pradesh, is located about 500km (310 miles) from Delhi and 238km from Allahabad. I came here from Jhansi before moving on to Allahabad. Lucknow is sort of off the beaten path to western tourists as many would head straight from Delhi to Agra and then on to Varanasi. In fact, I only saw one other western tourist at the Residency and heard another western girl at an internet place. There is plenty to see and do here so if you have time then why not stop off and see.
Lucknow was once the capital city under the Nawabs (Muslim rulers) of Awadh (also known as Oudh - a region of northern India before independence) and so features several imposing monuments. Some of the one's still standing today include the Bara Imambara, Hussainabad Imambara and the Rumi Darwaza gateway. Awadh was then annexed by the British East India Company in 1856. Lucknow's infamous place in history came the following year during the Indian Uprising when the ruling British Resident, Sir Henry Lawrence, and 2,000 others died at the garrison based at the Residency during the Siege of Lucknow. The Residency buildings all lie in ruins today, a testament to those who died.
This happens all over India not just in India. Whilst I was visiting the Hussainabad Imambara, a guide showed me around... more travel advice
I took a cycle rickshaw on a tour around the sights of Lucknow which was a bit slow but at least you get to see things.... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Lucknow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lucknow- City of Nawabs,Culture and Cuisine"
- "Lakshmanpur aka Lucknow"
- "Lucknow - The city of Nawabi Culture"
- "Lucknow, underestimated historical pearl"
- "The Siege of Lucknow"
- "The Last Word on Genteel Behaviour-Lucknow"
- "My home town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lucknow
- Hotels in Lucknow
- Transportation in Lucknow
- Nightlife in Lucknow
- Restaurants in Lucknow
- Shopping in Lucknow
- Warnings and Dangers in Lucknow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lucknow
- 37 Reviews
- 125 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (70)
Have you been to Lucknow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lucknow
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues