"Orchha - Small village, big on history" Top 5 Page for this destination Orchha by Willettsworld
Orchha Travel Guide: 183 reviews and 495 photos
Orchha is a small village with big history. It's located about 18km away from Jhansi in northern Madhya Pradesh which itself is 400km (240 miles) south of Delhi. I came here on the train from Gwalior via Jhansi where I took a bus to Orchha and then I went on to Khajuraho.
Small as Orchha is, (population of approx 8,500), the skyline is dominated by some very impressive palace and temple buildings. This is due to the fact that it was founded by the Rajput Bundela dynasty in the 16th century. They started building palaces such as the Raja Mahal and later the Jahangir Mahal as well as temples, of which, the Chaturbhuj Temple is the most impressive. The state reached its peak at the turn of the 20th century with an area of some 2,080 square miles and a population of over 320,000. The state was then merged with the Union Of India in 1950 and so ended the Bundela's Orchha rule which lasted for 450 years. Orchha, today, is a popular tourist destination because of its history and architecture but is not as touristy or as popular as Khajuraho which means that it keeps its small village charm. I loved Orchha because of this and because it was quiet and peaceful as well as being my first step into rural India.
As Orchha is a small village in the middle of nowhere, the modern broadband internet connections haven't arrived yet.... more travel advice
The Lakshi Narayan Temple, is built on a small hill about a kilometre west of the village. It was built by Vir Singh Deo... more travel advice
- Tempo's & buses to/from Orchha
- Bring a book!
- See All Not so good
- Health & safety
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Orchha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Orchha - Small village, big on history"
- "Orchha the empty peaceful medieval town"
- "Keeweechic's Orchha"
- "Orchha's jewels"
- "Capital City of the Bundelas"
- "Capital of Bundella Orcha"
- "Orchha ,Sleepy Palaces on the bank of Betwa River"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Orchha
- Hotels in Orchha
- Transportation in Orchha
- Nightlife in Orchha
- Restaurants in Orchha
- Shopping in Orchha
- Warnings and Dangers in Orchha
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Orchha
- 70 Reviews
- 234 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Orchha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Orchha
Photos in OrchhaSee All Photos (234)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues