"Pushkar - A pond created by a flower" Top 5 Page for this destination Pushkar by Willettsworld
Pushkar Travel Guide: 200 reviews and 842 photos
Pushkar is located in the middle of Rajasthan, 14km (9 miles) from Ajmer. I came here from Jaipur via Ajmer before heading on a rather arduous 5 hour bus trip to Jodhpur. I spent a couple of days here and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and great western food. Some visitors spend months here at a time and I can see why!
Pushkar means 'A pond created by a flower' and is regarded to be the abode of Lord Brahma, one of the three Hindu Gods forming the great Hindu trilogy. According to the text, Pushkar came into being when Lord Brahma, Creator in the Hindu Trinity, dropped petals of lotus flower (pushpa) to earth from his hand (kar) to kill a demon. This resulted in the formation of three lakes in the desert land. The largest of these lakes is today revered as one of India's most sacred sites and bounded by temples and 52 bathing ghats. The lake was actually created in the 12th century when a dam was built across the headwaters of the Luni River. To bathe at Pushkar is thought to be more important than at any other place. A story goes that Brahma wanted to perform the yagna (a ritual of sacrifice) at the most auspicious time but his consort Savitri whose presence at the yagna was vital for its performance kept him waiting. Irritated by this Brahma married Gayatri, a milkmaid and installed her instead. Savitri on seeing someone else in her place was infuriated and cursed Brahma that he would be forgotten by people on earth and never worshiped. She relented on pleas from other Gods that he could only be worshiped in Pushkar, hence there are no Brahma Temples elsewhere in India and so this, and the lake, are the main reasons why Hindu pilgrims come to Pushkar.
The Savitri Temple is located on top of the Ratnagiri Hill which is about 1km south-west of the lake. I got to the top... more travel advice
There are buses that depart pretty regulary to Pushkar from near the Nasiyan (red) Temple on Prithvi Raj Road in Ajmer.... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Pushkar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pushkar Holy Lake"
- "Pushkar - A pond created by a flower"
- "Holy Pushkar...."
- "Pushkar king of kings"
- "Pushkar - a holy Hindu pilgrimage town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pushkar
- Hotels in Pushkar
- Transportation in Pushkar
- Nightlife in Pushkar
- Restaurants in Pushkar
- Shopping in Pushkar
- Warnings and Dangers in Pushkar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pushkar
- 27 Reviews
- 122 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Pushkar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pushkar
Photos in PushkarSee All Photos (122)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues