"Srirangapatna - Tipu Sultan's last stand" Shrirangapattana by Willettsworld
Shrirangapattana Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 137 photos
Srirangapatna is a small town that's located about 16km (10 miles) northeast of Mysore. The town lies on an island in the middle of the Kaveri River and takes its name from the celebrated Ranganathaswamy Temple which dominates the town. The temple was built by the Ganga dynasty rulers of the area in the 9th century before it was strengthened and improved upon architecturally some three centuries later, making it a medley of Hoysala and Vijayanagar styles of temple architecture. However, the town is most famous for being the capital of Tipu Sultan who fortified it during the 18th century. It was the scene of the last and decisive battle fought between Tipu Sultan and the British forces led by General Harris. This battle was the last engagement of the Fourth Anglo-Mysore War in May 1799 which saw Tipu killed within the fort. He is buried in a tomb complex, about 3km east of the fort, known as Gumbaz along with his father, Hyder Ali, and wife. Another site to visit, here, is his summer palace which is located along the road to Gumbaz. Buses depart from near the clock tower in Mysore so it's easy to get to.
About 3km east of town is this beautiful tomb complex which was built by Tipu Sultan in 1784 for his parents. It... more travel advice
During the Fourth Mysore War, the British laid siege to Srirangapatna on the 4th May 1799 and effectively breached the... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Shrirangapattana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE LAST BASTION OF TIPU SRIRANGPATNA"
- "Srirangapatna - Tipu Sultan's last stand"
- "Tipu Sultan's Shrirangapattana"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Shrirangapattana
- 12 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Shrirangapattana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shrirangapattana
Photos in ShrirangapattanaSee All Photos (64)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues