"Shimla - A little piece of England in India" Top 5 Page for this destination Simla by Willettsworld
Simla Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 239 photos
Shimla is a popular hill station that is located in the foothills of the Himalayas approx 350km (220 miles) north of Delhi in the state of Himachal Pradesh, of which it is the state capital. It was discovered by the British in 1819 and they quickly moved in and built their summer capital here in order to escape the heat in Calcutta and Delhi. In fact, one fifth of humanity was ruled here by the British Raj from the Viceregal Lodge that is located a few miles west of the town itself.
Shimla features some beautiful 19th and early 20th century buildings that are designed to be little pieces of England in India. The best examples are the Christ Church, the second oldest in Northern India, the mock-Tudor Town Hall, the large red cast iron and steel Railway Board building and the Gaiety Theatre where the likes of Rudyard Kipling and Lord Kitchner once trod the boards. There are many other gems dotted around and the views from the area known as The Ridge are wonderful. The best way to get here is by taking the Kalka-Shimla mountain train from Kalka which is on the main line out of Delhi. The 96km narrow gauge railway passes through some 103 tunnels and snakes its way up the hills past delightful little stations along the way.
I have to say that there aren't a great deal of good restaurants in Shimla. This small place near the lift on The Mall... more travel advice
The State Museum opened in 1974 and is located up a very steep hill about 2.5km west of Scandal Point on the way to the... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Simla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Queen of the snowy hills"
- "Shimla - A little piece of England in India"
- "Shimla of the Hills"
- "India's brighton"
- "Simla must have been beautiful once upon a time!"
- "Simla (now known as Shimla)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Simla
- Hotels in Simla
- Transportation in Simla
- Nightlife in Simla
- Restaurants in Simla
- Shopping in Simla
- Warnings and Dangers in Simla
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Simla
- 31 Reviews
- 123 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Simla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Simla
Photos in SimlaSee All Photos (123)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues