"Tanjore - Home of the Brihadeeswara Temple" Thanjavur by Willettsworld
Thanjavur Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 307 photos
Thanjavur, also known by its anglicised name Tanjore, is 56km from Tiruchirapalli (Trichy) in central Tamil Nadu. The city was once the stronghold of the historic Cholas and at one time was also the capital of the Cholas, Mutharayars and Marathas when they were at the peak of their power. There are principally two major sights to visit here: The first is the great Brihadeeswara Temple, built by Rajaraja Chola I around 1010 AD. The temple, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, stands amidst fortified walls that were probably added in the 16th century. The 'Vimana' - or the temple tower - is 216 ft (66 m) high and is among the tallest of its kind in the world.
The second sight is the Thanjavur Royal Palace which was partly built by the Nayaks around 1550 and partly by the Marathas as their royal residence. The complex includes the splendidly decorated Durbar Hall which was built in 1684, a seven-storeyed observation/bell tower, the Sadar Mahal which is still the residence of the current royal family, a museum, an art gallery and a library with palm leaf and paper manuscripts, rare books, miniature paintings and illustrated manuscripts. I managed to visit both the temple and palace in one afternoon before I moved on to Kumbakonam.
This large tank is located to the north of the Brihadishwara Temple and is said to be renowned for its sweet water. It... more travel advice
The quadrangular Shivaganga Fort just north of the Brihadishwara Temple was built by the Nayaka ruler, Sevappa Nayaka in... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Thanjavur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Another great Temple city"
- "Magnificient Thanjavur"
- "Tanjore - Home of the Brihadeeswara Temple"
- "Rice Bowl of Tamil Nadu"
- "Adorable surprise"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thanjavur
- Hotels in Thanjavur
- Transportation in Thanjavur
- Restaurants in Thanjavur
- Shopping in Thanjavur
- Warnings and Dangers in Thanjavur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thanjavur
- 20 Reviews
- 155 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Thanjavur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thanjavur
Photos in ThanjavurSee All Photos (155)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues