"Trichy and Srirangam" Tiruchchirappalli by Willettsworld
Tiruchchirappalli Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 114 photos
Tiruchirappalli, more commonly known as Trichy, is the fourth largest city in Tamil Nadu and is located on the south bank of the Cauvery River with Srirangam, on an island, on the north bank. The most famous landmark of Trichy is the Rock Fort Temple which is perched on a huge 83-metre high rocky outcrop. The smooth crop was first hewn by the Pallavas but it was the Nayaks of Madurai who later built the temple in the 7th century. There are actually two temples on the rock - one dedicated to Lord Shiva and the other to Lord Ganesha. Apart from this the only other sights within the city are the Lourdes Church modelled on the famous basilica in France, a Muslim tomb and an Anglican church near the main train station. However, across the river, in Srirangam, lies the largest active Hindu temple in the world - the Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple which really deserves a visit. 2km east of this is another large temple complex called the Sri Jambukeshwara Temple, which, again, is worth a visit if you have the time. I only stayed here 1 night after arriving from nearby Madurai and just about had enough time to see all the sights.
Built in 1812 and dedicated in 1816, this is a lovely Anglican Church set in a leafy area near the train station. The... more travel advice
This is another very large temple complex in Srirangam, about 2km east of the main Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple. It was... more travel advice
Willettsworld's Related Pages
Tiruchchirappalli Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ordinary Town - Extraordinary Heritage !"
- "Trichy and Srirangam"
- "Pictures of Trichy"
- "ROCKFORT TEMPLE- can anything beat this"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tiruchchirappalli
- Hotels in Tiruchchirappalli
- Transportation in Tiruchchirappalli
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tiruchchirappalli
- 15 Reviews
- 97 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (69)
Have you been to Tiruchchirappalli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tiruchchirappalli
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 163 reviews, 623 photos, 10 travelogues
- Istanbul Intro, 136 reviews, 545 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Slovenia Intro, 99 reviews, 416 photos, 3 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 108 reviews, 371 photos, 7 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 100 reviews, 376 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination P'yongyang Intro, 89 reviews, 373 photos, 7 travelogues
- Shanghai Intro, 81 reviews, 373 photos, 10 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 87 reviews, 359 photos, 10 travelogues
- Udaipur Intro, 97 reviews, 335 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rio de Janeiro Intro, 103 reviews, 327 photos, 5 travelogues