"Khajuraho" Top 5 Page for this destination Khajuraho by umashanker

Khajuraho Travel Guide: 261 reviews and 795 photos

Khajuraho;Love at first sight

The ancient hindu text tells that the aim of life is to achive 'Chaturfal'e.g.dharma,artha,kama and moksha.Since mokska(enlighenment) is the ultimate aim of life but can not be achived with out Dharma(duty), artha(money) and Kama( sexual pleasure).Khajuraho temples explain that kama is a part of life and blessing of god to man.1000 years old temples with artistic sculptures has many legends,theories,philosohies as why erotica on temples.But one simple lesson of khajuraho is that ,"Greatest is love."Evan a wild beast can need love".

Western Group of Temples

This is Kandaria temple,dedicated to lord Shiva(Mahadev).There are many beautifull sculptures built on the outer walls of the mandpum and seems like an art gallery.Themes of sculpture are daily life,war and love.Just opposite to this temple is small temple dedicated to Varahavatar(one among ten incaranations of lord Vishnu)There are so many carving pictures on Varah statue as they narrate the pouranic tales.

Vishwanath Temple

This temple enshrine lord Brahma(three head god of creation).Very beautifull temple in midst of the garden.Just opposite this huge temple is small temple visible in the is temple of Nandi Bull.A 6 feet tall Nandi staute is very impressive .

• Pros:A tresure of art
  • Cons:No railway station,single raod
  • In a nutshell:visit for once and get librated from taboos for ever
  • Last visit to Khajuraho: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 4, 2006

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2009 at 6:09 AM

Excellent pages and information on Khajuraho, Uma. Good pictures too.

• kmohandas's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2008 at 11:08 PM

A marvellous page on a wonderful place. I have been to this place in 1981.

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2007 at 1:51 AM

Excellent pages Uma.we will be in New delhi on Oct 2nd -oct 15th .Inbetween agra and amritsar on our agenda.Namaste form Sydney!

• grets's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2007 at 2:22 PM

After reading your tips and seeing your photos, I have now put Khajuraho on my wish list for India. Thanks. :-)

• brendazart's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2006 at 6:20 PM

Hi, Umahanker, your pages are great. Can't believe how much there is to see in India -- how does one choose, how does one stop-- oh, I know, money.

• ellsasha's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2006 at 4:46 PM

Really interesting page, with great photos. Thank you for all of your help with questions on my upcoming trip to India.

• preadhead's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2006 at 4:48 AM

Uma these are great temple tips. I hope to get to India one day to see them for myself. I'm a big fan of local buses too so I'll take your advice haha :-)Helen

• tremendopunto's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2006 at 6:44 AM

Great tip, Uma. I think I should put it into my travel plan. Really beautiful!

• janetra's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2006 at 10:09 AM

This looks an amazing place. I look forward to visiting it when I am in India next month. Janet

• nav_jewel's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2005 at 6:10 AM

"visit for once and get librated from taboos for ever" - was a great statement

umashanker

“walk alone”

Badges & Stats in Khajuraho

Have you been to Khajuraho?

Latest Activity in Khajuraho