"Rishikesh(Under construction)" Rishikesh by umashanker
Rishikesh Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 311 photos
Rishikesh is situated at banks of Ganga in the foothills of Himalaya.It is at the hieght of 1360ft from sea leval and 27km away from Haridwar.This is basicaly a small holi town.Round the year pilgrims and tourists come here but mainly from march to november as winter is to cold here.This is also a gateway to go to Gangotri, Yamnotri, Hemkunt Sahib and Badrinath & kedarnath.There is another important holi place to visit is Neelkanth Mahadev .Neelkanth Mahadev is 12 km away from here but at steep hieght so it enjoyble drive .Many prefer to go on foot to Neelkant wich is also enjoyble tracking and two beautifull walterfalls in the way add plesure to journey.This is a very old twon have mythological story that lord Vishnu killed demon Madhu in Rishikesh.On the other side of Gnaga is Tapovan which is belived to favourite penance place for many sages.There is temple of Lakshmana where he did penance.This Tapovan is my favourite place and since my childhood i am frequently visiting here.In past three decades many guest house,hotels ,Dharamshalas and temples have mushroomed here.It is good as more pilgrims and tourists coming here but what made me sad that the construction here is going on in gross violation of pollution laws.I am so attached to this place as i have spent many childhood school vacation here with my grand father who used to come here in summer days.That time few shops here,no hotels and only place to stay here was either "Swargashram Trust" or "Geeta Bhavan" trust.These two trusts provide accomodation to visitors in thier huge housing complex.But now there are many facilities to stay here and many shops and restuarents.
Rishikesh on world arena
This small twon in the foothill of himalaya is known by world for the following reasons:
- Pros:Sound of Gnaga,Bath in Ganga ,Seeing Ganga
- Cons:Con man selling instant Nirvana
- In a nutshell:A calm place in foothills of Himalaya
There is a suspension Bridge over Ganga river built in 1939.It is 450ft long and it connects Rishikesh with Tapovana or... more travel advice
umashanker's Related Pages
Rishikesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEACHES ON THE GANGA AT RISHIKESH"
- "RISHIKESH- THE HOME OF SAGE RAIBHYA RISHI!!!!"
- "The Gateway to the Garhwal Himalayas"
- "Rishikesh(Under construction)"
- "The Yoga Capital of the world"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rishikesh
- Hotels in Rishikesh
- Transportation in Rishikesh
- Nightlife in Rishikesh
- Restaurants in Rishikesh
- Shopping in Rishikesh
- Warnings and Dangers in Rishikesh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rishikesh
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Rishikesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rishikesh
Top 5 Pages
- Goa Intro, 9 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jodhpur Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- State of Assam Intro, 5 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khajuraho Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos