"ARAI" Arai by cheesecake17
Arai Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 16 photos
In my quest to see all 53 STATIONS of the OLD TOKAIDO ROAD, this is number 31
A woman had to bring an official document describing her physical appearance, and if there was any discrepancy between the description and her real appearance, she could not pass through the sekisho.
Regarding men, they did not have to show such a document; they just told officers their name and address and could pass through without any body check.
The Arai-no-sekisho is the only one barrier where the old building is left, and you can learn the history of the barrier at the site.
Distance from Nihonbashi: 269.4 km
The DAIMYO'S attendants on board the accompanying boat in the foreground appear to be somewhat bored and are depicted humorously...
The ARAI CHECKPOINT can be seen at far right where there is a gate made of black painted logs and the guard post..
All boats from MAISAKA were ordered to come alongside the pier in front of the checkpoint..
It is said that the inspections here were as strict as those carried out at the HAKONE barrier..
- In a nutshell:I found one of the original historical sites..
In the EDO PERIOD, one had to go by boat across IMAGIREGUCHI which is the mouth of LAKE HAMANA to the pacific... more travel advice
cheesecake17's Related Pages
Arai Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Arai
- 10 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Arai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arai
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 148 reviews, 220 photos, 4 travelogues
- Yaizu Intro, 64 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka Intro, 52 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagoya Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Okabe Intro, 31 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 39 reviews, 55 photos
- Toyokawa Intro, 26 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamamatsu Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Inuyama Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kakegawa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue