"SHIMADA" Shimada by cheesecake17
Shimada Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 101 photos
In my quest to cover all 53 stations of the OLD TOKAIDO ROAD, this is post number 24
It was often necessary for travelers to stop several days in Shimada, or in Kanaya on the opposite shore, to wait for the river to subside.
As a result, both towns had to maintain more inns than the ordinary station.
Shimada is also famous for the origin of Shimada-mage, a traditional hair style for women during the Edo period. It is said that yujo or prostitutes in Shimada shuku created the hair style.
Distance from Nihonbashi: 203.4 km
..............EVEN HORSES ARE ABLE TO PASS THE HAKONE MOUNTAINS, BUT THEY CANNOT CROSS THE OI RIVER........
River crossings were often suspended when there were downpours...Shimada is a post town on the east side of the Oi river...This pic presents a bird's-eye view of the bed of the Oi river...
A feudal lord's procession, travelers and horses await their turn to cross the river, while some people are already on their way across..
Viewing the scene from afar the print captures the atmosphere of this busy river....
Unno is a famous local artist of the work of woodblock his house was open to the public in 2000.....You are able to see... more travel advice
Third Sunday of September Shimada-mage is the most popular traditional womens hair style originated by Tora-gozen. It... more travel advice
cheesecake17's Related Pages
Shimada Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Shimada
- 12 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Shimada?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shimada
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 148 reviews, 220 photos, 4 travelogues
- Yaizu Intro, 64 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka Intro, 52 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagoya Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Okabe Intro, 31 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 39 reviews, 55 photos
- Toyokawa Intro, 26 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamamatsu Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Inuyama Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kakegawa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue