"MOUNT FUJI STATE" Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka by cheesecake17
Shizuoka Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 304 photos
The "city of Shizuoka " lies just over one hour from Tokyo by bullet train along the Tokaido shinkansen line.
As you hurtle along one of the busiest stretches of railroad in the world, make sure you are sitting on the right side of the train and keep an eye out in the distance for Fuji's snow-capped cone. The 3776m peak is a spectacular sight at any time of the year.
The scenery of Shizuoka includes the Southern Japan Alps and about five hundred kilometers of coastline...
There are Castles from Japan's feudal period as well as preserved temples and shrines ....The legenday SHOGUN TOKUGAWA chose to live in shizuoka which made it the unofficial capital during the 17th century...
For many shizuoka is not really a stop..sad but true..but the state and the city of shizuoka has a lot to offer...and in my opinion is the BEST place to view Mt fuji than Hakone..
In my quest to see all 53 STATIONS of the OLD TOKAIDO ROAD, this is number 20..
Fuchu literally means the center of politics. After retiring his job as 1st shogun in the Edo period, he moved from Edo (now Tokyo) to this place and lived there for 10 years, during the rest of his life.
After his death, there were almost no feudal lords in Fuchu throughout the Edo period ..
After the Restoration of the Imperial Rule in 1968 , the last shogun, Tokugawa Yoshinobu also lived in Fuchu for 30 years.
Fuchu is also well known as a birth place of Jippensha Ikku, the author of Tokaidochu Hizakurige, consisting of funny stories about travel experiences of two people during their trip on the Tokaido highway.
Distance from Nihonbashi: 174.6 km
Legend says that when TOKUGAWA IEYASU, the founder of the TOKUGAWA shogunate, built SUMPU CASTLE, he diverted the ABE RIVER from its original course to make a detour in the western pat of the town which would serve as the outer moat of the castle..
Shown in this picture are people crossing the ABE river.....
Travelers are carried across the river either in their palanquins or on the backs of porters..
The various ways of crossing the river are depicted realistically...."
- Pros:MT FUJI, the sea....
- In a nutshell:shizuoka may not be TOKYO or KYOTO but it worth a stop.
While looking around at the great building , take some time to look up and find the ROOF TILES DEMON or ONI... more travel advice
- See All The people on the bus go UP & DOWN..:-)
- See All RYOKAN IN SHIZUOKA
- See All Abekawa Mochi (Abekawa Rice Cakes)
- See All DONT miss these....
cheesecake17's Related Pages
Shizuoka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MOUNT FUJI STATE"
- "Expanded Shizuoka Touring Tips"
- "My birthplace, the Prefecture of Shizuoka"
- "Swiss_Yalcin's new Shizuoka Page"
- "GOTEMBA CITY, SHIZUOKA PREFECTURE"
- "Welcome to my home town prefecture"
- "Shizuoka ?@?Ã‰ª"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shizuoka
- Hotels in Shizuoka
- Transportation in Shizuoka
- Restaurants in Shizuoka
- Shopping in Shizuoka
- Warnings and Dangers in Shizuoka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shizuoka
- 52 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Shizuoka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shizuoka
Videos in ShizuokaSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 148 reviews, 220 photos, 4 travelogues
- Yaizu Intro, 64 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka Intro, 52 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagoya Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Okabe Intro, 31 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 39 reviews, 55 photos
- Toyokawa Intro, 26 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamamatsu Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Inuyama Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kakegawa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue