""Lightning Capital of the World"" Top 5 Page for this destination Marco Island by cheesecake17
Marco Island Travel Guide: 87 reviews and 209 photos
Some 2000 years ago, the area's native Calusa Indians settled along the Southwest Florida Gulf coast and lived off the abundant fish, shellfish and other natural resources.
The tribe built huge mounds of discarded shells to raise their dwellings above the water level in the low-lying area, and many of these ancient mounds can be seen today on Marco Island.
During the1500s, Spanish explorers led by Juan Ponce de Leon arrived in Florida and happened upon a remote island they christened La Isla de San Marco (the island of St. Mark).
As occurred throughout the New World during this period of European exploration, war broke out between the Spanish and the indigenous tribe.
But Spain could not conquer the fierce Calusa with weapons alone. (It is believed that Ponce de Leon was killed by a Calusa arrow as he and his men attempted to engage a Calusa village.)
Ultimately, however, the Calusa were defeated by a combination of war and disease carried across the Atlantic.
For the next 100 years there was hardly a soul to be found on La Isla de San Marco, whose name was eventually shortened to Marco Island. It was not until 1870, when a hearty pioneer from Tennessee arrived, that Marco began to show new signs of life.
- Pros:small, easy to drive around, you can spot dolphin
- In a nutshell:beat the crowd of miami and head here
On resident beach a Resident Permit Required for Entry There are Showers and Restrooms , vending machines but no small... more travel advice
Marco Island has beautiful white sand beaches ...Tides which come and go -- leaving behind treasures for the sheller who... more travel advice
cheesecake17's Related Pages
Marco Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "marco island florida"
- ""Lightning Capital of the World""
- "Marco Island"
- "The Largest of Florida's Ten Thousand Islands"
- "Relaxation Island"
- "Marco Island: An undiscovered relaxing spot"
- "Marco Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marco Island
- Hotels in Marco Island
- Transportation in Marco Island
- Nightlife in Marco Island
- Restaurants in Marco Island
- Shopping in Marco Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Marco Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marco Island
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Marco Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marco Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 148 reviews, 220 photos, 4 travelogues
- Yaizu Intro, 64 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka Intro, 52 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagoya Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Okabe Intro, 31 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 39 reviews, 55 photos
- Toyokawa Intro, 26 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamamatsu Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Inuyama Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kakegawa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue