"Esztergom" Esztergom by cheesecake17
Esztergom Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 212 photos
Esztergom lies in the central part of Northern Hungary and marks the western entrance to the Danube Bend. A few kilometres east of Esztergom, the Danube bends sharply before it flows to the south.. The left side of the river is already Slovakian territory.
Around 60 kilometres downstream starts the capital...Budapest.
Marcus Aurelius, one of the most famous politicians of the ancient Rome, wrote the 12th book of the Meditations in present-day Esztergom.
The town itself wasn't really important before the year 1000 AD. The father of St Stephen, prince Géza, chose the place as his residence. And so his son St Stephen was born, baptized and crowned in Esztergom.
The first Hungarian church was built here, and Magyar tribes were christianized from here. At that time, the rulers lived on the top of the hill and the clergy in the lower town.
After the devastating Mongolian invasionin 1241, the rulers decided to move to Buda, but the clergy remained in Esztergom ...
..and moved to the place which is occupied by the cathedral today.
Esztergom became the seat of archbishop for many centuries. Later on, the Ottomans destroyed Esztergom, but most of the town was rebuilt in the 18th and 19th century.
- Pros:danube , cathedral...
I booked all my tours on this site...Booked tour in order to get the 10-20% discount... The first tour stop is... more travel advice
cheesecake17's Related Pages
Esztergom Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Church with a Town Attached"
- "Esztergom and the Danube Bend"
- "The most historic town in Hungary"
- "Esztergom -- our last weekend in Hungary"
- "Eszter's Esztergom Page"
- "Esztergom, Hungary"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Esztergom
- Hotels in Esztergom
- Transportation in Esztergom
- Restaurants in Esztergom
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Esztergom
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Esztergom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Esztergom
Photos in EsztergomSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Japan Intro, 148 reviews, 220 photos, 4 travelogues
- Yaizu Intro, 64 reviews, 133 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Shizuoka Intro, 52 reviews, 112 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagoya Intro, 52 reviews, 97 photos
- Okabe Intro, 31 reviews, 93 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tokyo Intro, 39 reviews, 55 photos
- Toyokawa Intro, 26 reviews, 54 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hamamatsu Intro, 24 reviews, 47 photos, 2 travelogues
- Inuyama Intro, 21 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kakegawa Intro, 19 reviews, 44 photos, 1 travelogue