"LAND AND NATURE OF JAPAN" Top 5 Page for this destination Japan by cheesecake17

Japan Travel Guide: 20,758 reviews and 59,026 photos

What is it about Japan that
so enchants foreigners?

"Partly it is the beauty of the country...
Partly it is the ancient, intricate arts and crafts...
Partly it is the bottomless depths of Zen Buddhism...
Partly it is the cuisine...
And partly--and perhaps most persuasively of all--it is the kindness and sensitivity of the Japanese people...

The truth, of course, is that all of these attributes interact in amazingly complex and compelling ways, creating the whole of Japanese culture and countryside--a whole that is as enchanting as it is enigmatic.

The Japanese refer to their country as "Nippon" or "Nihon". These two names apparently have their origin in the words "place from where the sun rises" used by Prince Shotoku, an early 7th-century Japanese ruler, to designate his country in a letter he sent to China

Both readings are in general use today.
"Nippon" is the more common choice in formal matters.

"Japan" has been chosen as the formal name designating the country in the English language.

Japan is an island lying off the east coast of Asia. It has the general shape of a crescent and extends 3,000 km (1,860 miles) from tip to tip.

The country is made up of four main islands (Honshu, Shikoku, Kyushu, and Hokkaido) which together with more than 4,000 smaller islands are collectively referred to as the Japanese Archipelago.

USEFUL SITES

ROADS OF JAPAN

OUTDOOR JAPAN

Seishun 18(Seishun ju-hachi kippu)

• Pros:Its a land of contrasts and contradictions
  • In a nutshell:aggressively modern yet retaining an Oriental reticence
  • Intro Updated Mar 26, 2013

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Ingrid aka Trekki told me I would find your page useful reading for our trip later this year, and boy was she right! Your etiquette tips are great - very clear and helpful. And the food tips made me eager to try all these dishes :-) I have saved a number of tips to read again just before our trip (in October) - thank you for sharing

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2011 at 4:32 PM

5 star page all round. This is one of the best "Country" pages here on VT and I am especially impressed with the restaurant stuff...I want to get the next flight out! Cheers, John.

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2010 at 6:30 PM

A lot of info on this page! Impressive! Great picts too!

• morgenhund's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2010 at 5:51 AM

Will be looking through your tips as I plan my trip to Japan! Thanks for sharing with us!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Lovely Things to Do tips on your home country! I'll be back some other time for more. I'm sure I would enjoy riding the JR Shinkansen, as you suggest in your ten-day tours and other tours. I never realized there were so many castles in Japan.

• marigirl's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2008 at 1:29 AM

I just moved to Japan and I'm happy to find your travel pages. That view of Fuji looks familiar...were you near Atsugi? I'm in Yamato. Can't wait to explore your site.

• Marisola's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2008 at 1:31 AM

Right -- I know two of the same words together: moshi, moshi!

• diageva's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2008 at 2:46 PM

This page is wonderful... so complete... and so good.... I will come back to see the rest.... incredible page... thanks for your work

• Mar 31, 2008 at 4:59 PM

BRILLIANT local custom tips. I love finding out about other cultures. Local custom tips are my favourite part of VT!!! :)

• Dec 31, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Happy new year 2008! Nikos from Greece and Emmy from Thailand.

cheesecake17 Used To Live Here!

cheesecake17

“citizen of the world....”

Badges & Stats in Japan