"The border town of Mikulov" Mikulov by Eugenetheduck
Mikulov Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 34 photos
Mikulov is the origin of the Czech wine we love to drink . The town borders Austria - both sides of the border are wine growing regions (following the route south via Brno). The Chateau at Mikulov can be seen for miles as you approach the boarder. Around 1218 it started as a medieval royal castle, acquired by the Liechtensteins in 1249.In 1575 the chateau was then acquired by the Dietrichsteins. In 1945 it was guttered by the retreating German soldiers but restoration started again in 1947.
In 1622 Cardinal Dietrichstein sponsored the building of a bell tower and rotunda (Church of St Sebastian - protector against the plague) on the hill side overlooking the town to drive away the plague. Not much remains of the original monuments as a result of natural disasters(lightning)and war(fire WWII).
All photo's taken on mobile...sorry about the quality.
- Pros:Great wine
- In a nutshell:Lovely little place to visit on way to/from Austria
Eugenetheduck's Related Pages
Mikulov Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wine Country"
- "The border town of Mikulov"
- "Palava Region"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mikulov
- Hotels in Mikulov
- Transportation in Mikulov
- Restaurants in Mikulov
- Warnings and Dangers in Mikulov
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mikulov
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Mikulov?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mikulov
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 13 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Liberec Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Athens Intro, 3 reviews, 9 photos
- Naxos Island Intro, 1 review, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cesky Krumlov Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Hruba Skala Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Santorini Island Intro, 1 review, 7 photos
- Venice Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Dolomiti Intro, 1 review, 6 photos