"Melaka - My Hometown, By Life" Melaka by dfactor
Melaka Travel Guide: 1,594 reviews and 3,911 photos
Melaka has a lot of history to it. Once the Venice of the East, and a thriving port. It was ruled by the very 1st Sultanate in Malaysia, until 1511, the Portuguese came and decided to make Melaka their own. And they did, until 1641, the Dutch came and showed the Portuguese who's the boss in Melaka. Then came the Brits and the Japs, and the rest is history.
If you're not a history buff, Melaka wouldn't disappoint you when it comes to food. Now, with KL as my adopted hometown, I still miss Melaka food, they are unique and a tab more spicy than the KL Chinese food. With the history Melaka has, antique stores are scattered all over Jonker Street's - a good hunting ground for long lost treasures (if you know where to look)!
Borned and raised in Melaka, it wasn't until I started travel outta Melaka when I'm older hat I realized how unique Melaka is, in her own right. Perhaps it's the smell of some yummie food in the restaurants or by the streets, or A Formosa and Stadhuys, or it could be the Hokkien the Chinese speaks there, or it could be anything for anyone who was borned in Melaka. For me, it's the school I played with my cousins in the evening everyday.
Over the years, as I spend more time in the city, the more I find the charm Melaka has to offer. The pace of life in Melaka is less demanding; but things have changed quite a bit over the years, shopping malls, restaurants, antique stores, flyovers are mushrooming all over. I do hope all these are for good, many in Melaka depends on the tourist money to make a living.
The traffic in Melaka can be really bad in the weekend and on holidays. Most of them are from neighboring states (KL especially) or Singapore down south. Usually 2/3 days stay in Melaka is good enough, the historical sites are very close to each other, you can park the car in the area, walk around the sites and the older part of the town. At nite, the night bazaar in Jonker Street on weekend is something not to be missed, you can get souveniers, local delicacies in the bazaar.
- Pros:Good old charm, cheap & great food (better than KL),
- Cons:Too much 1 way streets, narrow streets too, badly patched roadways around the historical sites,
- In a nutshell:I grew up here, what more could I say?
A very small family-run restaurant, the setting in this restaurant could be improved. But this is not the reason why you... more travel advice
Though I grew up in Melaka, I only knew of this splendid restaurant after joining VT, I only have my fellow VTers to... more travel advice
dfactor's Related Pages
Melaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Yeow Kwee (Glutton) in Melaka"
- "Melaka - The Historical City of Malaysia"
- "Historical Town of Melaka (Malacca)"
- "malacca, a smal historical city"
- "My Melaka"
- "More than a Historical Town - Home to Baba Nyonya"
- "Melaka - Malaysia's historical centre"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melaka
- Hotels in Melaka
- Transportation in Melaka
- Nightlife in Melaka
- Restaurants in Melaka
- Shopping in Melaka
- Warnings and Dangers in Melaka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melaka
- 10 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Melaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melaka
- Posted in Travel Dublin Forum "Re: 16a bus from airport"
- Wrote a Review Authentic Nyonya food, almost like my mom's about Local food in Melaka Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Chicken Rice Balls"
- Commented on one of gdilieto's Melaka travel pages
- updated a Melaka Travel Page "Melaka - My Hometown, By Life"
Photos in MelakaSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Bali Intro, 18 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Angkor Wat Intro, 37 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 14 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 10 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 3 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sukau Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos
- Venice Intro, 13 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pulau Langkawi Intro, 9 reviews, 31 photos
- Pulau Perhentian Besar Intro, 7 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sepilok Intro, 4 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (35)
Latest Melaka hotel reviews
- Riviera Bay Resort
- 62 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 14, 2013
- Trend Hotel
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 11, 2012
- Hotel Puri
- 503 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Klebang Beach Resort
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Fairway Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 1, 2013
- Coastal Park Hotel
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 4, 2013
- Hotel Pink City
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2011
- Bayview Hotel Melaka
- 113 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Holiday Inn Melaka
- 775 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Straits View Lodge
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Seri Costa Hotel-Resort Melaka
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- MITC Ancasa Hotel Melaka
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013