"Where the animals used to rule" Sukau by dfactor

Sukau Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 210 photos

Shrinking heaven for the wildlife

At the lower tip of the Kinabatangan river (the longest river in Sabah), lies a piece of shrinking land where animals like Probosics monkeys, marqueats, hornbills used to rule. Going to Sukau, you will pass through palm oil fields, stretches as far as the eyes can see. Sitting in the car for close to 2 hours, couldn't help thinking the 'what-could-have-been'. The forest are wiped out for the palm oil. They are destroyed forever, and it's rather impossible for the forest to grow back to what it was. So does the animals.

Note: For pictures of animals/plants in Sukau, please refer to my "General Tips" Tip! Took a fair bit of nice shots here.

Palm oil, the biodiesel of the future?

From the turn-off on the highway to Sukau, is a 50km bumpy road (really bumpy road when I visited) to the village I was staying. Though 50km is not far, due to the condition of the road, it took us close to 2 hours to get there, the car we were travelling at, a Proton aeroback (sedan made for city) didn't help at all. Clunking sounds were heard almost along the journey. I was very much concern the car would break down in the middle of nowhere. But in the end, we made it.

Kids at the home-stay programme

May be it's the urge to experience the lifestyle of the locals in Sukau, may be because we thought it's cheap (looking back, it wasn't cheap at all, more on this in hotels/accomodations tip), we signed up for the home-stay programme through one of the staff at Sepilok Jungle Resort. It's quite an experience, no running tap water, all the water comes from the river, which is just right behind the house, and rain water. The toilet is much less to be desired and the river water is rather cold and murky. Stepping into the bath room and toilet, is certaintly an experience I'm not fond of repeating again. But the family we live with are very attentive, food are always serverd to us, and they are very good people. It's kinda odd, this place is only about 2 hours journey on the plane from KL, but the way they lead their lives is so different than us in the city.

• Pros:A rare glimpse into the animals natural habitat,
  • Cons:Terrible road condition, I could use better shower and toilet,
  • In a nutshell:How much longer the animals are allowed on this piece of land?
  • Last visit to Sukau: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 15, 2007

• hassan_abu's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2007 at 9:50 PM

Very educational, just like National Geographic. Anyway, have a Good Birthday. You deserve it.

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2006 at 3:15 AM

Dennis, get that Nikor 400mm lenses for those bird shots! My God, I'm really envious over the hornbill sighting. Hmm, you didn't name your birds yet!!

• daddygila's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2006 at 7:19 PM

Nice Bird....

dfactor

“Johnnie says Keep Walking. Carpe Diem.”

Badges & Stats in Sukau