"Angkor What?" Top 5 Page for this destination Angkor Wat by dfactor

Angkor Wat Travel Guide: 1,645 reviews and 4,781 photos

Angkot Wat

I don't know why I was drawn to Angkor in the 1st place. Angkor always has the unexplained aura and mystique that beckons me. Cambodia is the 1st South East Asia country I ever venture out to (well apart from Singapore, which is more to work than as a tourist. I can't believe I'd never been to Thailand. But it seems to me ppl go there for reasons apart for sight-seeing.). 2 hours flight from KL and 5 days later. I gotta say Angkor is simple outta this world; and I'm a little surprise how cheap Siem Reap can be. Feel free to ask me how much I'd spent in my 5 days in Siem Reap! *LOL*
I'm not going to go thru the history of the temples on my page. It sounds corny and cliche. You can find it fairly easily among other VT members. Or in Tales of Asia, which I think is pretty good. But I'm going to try to tell you Angkor / Sieam Reap from my own experience, stuff which I think is odd from where I came from and etc.. I was in Siem Reap for 5 days, 3 full days actually.
Oh yeah, before I go on any further, NO McDonald, Burger King, KFC, Pizza Hut, ATM Machines and very limited acceptance of credit cards.

"Angkow What?" is actually a popular bar in Siem Reap town.

Angkor in the sunset glow

3 days are actually enough for you to see most of the temples in Siem Reap. Try not to see too many temples on the 1st day (like I did), you tend to suffer from temple burnout. I agree with others when they say Angkor, Bayon and Ta Prohm are the most interesting temples in Siem Reap. Banteay Srei is in a class of its own; but not as big as the others. I wanted to go to Kbal Spean (River of a thousand lingas) & Beng Mealea, but they are really far from Siem Reap and it's not really cheap to get there. With the thought of "most of the temple are more or less the same", I decided not to go. (Most of the temples have 5 towers, 4 in each corner, and a bigger one in the center.)
I didn't step into Angkor Wat on the 1st day, was around the pond and the causeway enjoying the sunset. (It's a risk you've to take, if it rained on the last day, you're screwed). I tried to save it for the last, I was told once you go to Angkor Wat, the rest of the temples wouldn't be so great. I will have to agree on that.
I went to Angkor everyday on my 3 day pass and twice to Bayon. (Angkor look differently on different hour of the day. The pictures shown here is on sunset, my favorite Angkor time. See for yourself how different Angkot looks throughout the day on my Colours of Angkor Travelogue.) Travelled around Siem Reap in tuk tuk. Paid USD 8 per day and addtional USD5 to go as far as Banteay Srei. Find tuk tuk rates on my Transportation Tip. I didn't venture outta Siem Reap, not even to Phnom Penh or Tonle Sap lake, to which I think is kewl. You can get a peek of the daily lives of the Combodians'. Friend showed me some nice nifty pictures of the lake trip.

Lonely Planet

I wouldn't have gone thru this trip without Lonely Planet guide. This is the 1st time I'm travelling with 1, I gotta say they will be my constant companion in my future trips. Siem Reap is freaking hot in May. I dunno what's the temperature, I thought KL is hot, but Siem Reap prove me wrong. (Sun block really comes in handy) Get a lotta mineral water with you, if not, in almost every entrance to the temples, they have stalls selling coconuts. They are cheap, USD1 for 2. I swear to god I drank more water than I ever did in KL, but everytime I went to the loo, it's like someone put in orange dye in my bladder!

• Pros:Great Temples, Dirt Cheap, Friendly People.
  • Cons:Ubiquitous Saleskids, Poverty, Almost Unbearable Heat, Dust.
  • In a nutshell:I think I have to come back here again.
  • Last visit to Angkor Wat: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 1, 2006

• tracyskf's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2007 at 5:44 AM

Bayon is one of my favourite too! My guide told me there is only 1 REAL smiling face (the one fenced up) but so far as I can see all of them seem smiling. =)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2007 at 9:32 AM

Another wonder of men's art and wisdom! Very impressive indeed!

• joleson's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2007 at 12:36 AM

I'm planning a trip to Angkor Wat and love your posts. I'll be traveling to KL for a conference and your information has been extremely helpful!

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2007 at 1:45 AM

What a great Angkor Wat page! I know this feeling to should have done more... but I felt rather "templed out" after 3 days climbing through the temples!

• samantha_chee's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2006 at 1:30 AM

great pictures! especially "the colors of angkor"

• cruisingbug's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2006 at 7:15 AM

Excellent tips - very thorough and well-written! Beautiful pics! I'd love to go to Angkor Wat one day - some friends went last year.

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2006 at 12:08 PM

Wonderful page Dennis!!! I'd like to see it one day!! Ciao

• trek06's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2006 at 10:16 AM

I never leave home without Lonely Planet either. Great pages Dennis!

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2006 at 11:19 PM

Great page on Angkor Wat.... wonderful pictures.

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2006 at 11:06 AM

Excellent Angkor page, Dennis, really well-written. Now you've just made me want to go back ;-)) fergy.

dfactor

“Johnnie says Keep Walking. Carpe Diem.”

Badges & Stats in Angkor Wat

Have you been to Angkor Wat?

Latest Activity in Angkor Wat