"Where To Go From Here?" dfactor's Profile

It's a big world out there.

'Would you tell me please, which way I ought to go from here?'
'That depends a good deal on where you want to get to', said the cat.
'I don't much care where...' said Alice.
'Then it doesn't matter which way you go' said the cat.

Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carrol

This picture was taken in Sras Srang, Cambodia. The kid in this pictures kinda reminds me of myself. The world seems so wide and big, so many things waiting for you to see and explore. I just wish I have the time and money to see them all one day.

Back from Helsinki & Tallinn, June 09

It seems the dust from the re-org in the office is not settled yet, decided to take some time-out from the kerfuffle. It is summer here, decided to see more of the countries in this part of the world. Helsinki is a good fun, a nice-sized and rather chic city with some interesting architecture. Suomenlinna is a good place to retreat to, away from the traffic, shopping crowd & buildings in the summer.

A 90-minute ferry trip on Lindaline later, it is an entirely different place altogether. Well, Estonia is a new country, gained her indenpendce after the collapse of the iron curtain in 1991. But the Tallinn old town dates back to circa 960 years. I went bananas with my camera, every street in the old town has its story, every motive begged to be photographed and captured on my CF card (almost wanted to say my films). I shot a record 829 pictures in 4 days, thank god my days of analog are long gone!

Copenhagen, May 09

My traveling went overdrive from late March to early May, started with IPTV World Forum in London, Easter holiday in Malaysia (1st time in Malaysia since moving to Oslo, had my fav Chicken Rice Ball & Auntie Lee), training in Linköping, then a weekend in Stockholm, it ended with a quick cruise trip to Copenhagen.

The cruise left Oslo at 5pm on Friday, arrived Copenhangen 9:30 the following day, and leaving for Oslo at 5pm, arrived Oslo again 9:30 on Sunday. Only a mere few hours in Copenhagen, but I already made up my mind already, I wanna go back! :-)

Barcelona, Feb 2009

Mobile World Congress brought me to Barcelona, but it doesn't take long for Barcelona to grow into me. For a start, the weather is just perfect, no gloves needed on the street in Feb (heavy snowfall and well in the sub-zero in Oslo)! The architecture is out of this world! Gaudi really made his mark in this Catalunian city. If Paris is all about aesthetic buildings, Barcelona is about avant-garde and wacky architecture. Can't help thinking I am walking in a Tim Burton movie set. And did I mention the dirt cheap tapas and paella? I am definitely coming back here!

New in Oslo, Aug 2008

Growing up in Melaka, god knows that I would one day call Oslo home. Came here mig Aug, just before the trees change their colours, been traveling a bit and started my new job in Nov. The language is tricky at best, but the Norwegian lessons provided in the office come in handy. Will write more, when I can, may be in Norwegian! I always go around introducing myself as "Jeg heter Dennis, jeg kommer fra Malaysia, men nå bor jeg i Oslo". :P

My swans picture from Edinburgh is getting pretty popular, apperaring on National Geographic Daily Dozen, December Week 1 (2008)& BBC, Your Pictures: 2 Jan - 9 Jan, Picture 6!

26th Jan 2009 - So much to see, too little time. Thought I came here in Aug, I only managed to travel to Stavanger, Paris & Edinburgh/London. So much ground to cover here. With the odd holiday system in Norway, it will take a while for me to see most places in Europe. Not to mention the need for me to get my fix of good food in Malaysia, living abroad I miss my char keow teoy, siew mai, roti canai, nasi lemak, laksa the most! Though they have equally good Malaysian food in London.

China, Apr / May 2008

My 1st ever visit to China. Been putting China on hold for too long. My 1st packaged-tour in a very long time. Also, I hope to be my last, but will go to that later.
Everything you read about China on the media is true. This country is really booming! (But the gap of the filthy rich and poor seems to be huge!) Ads of automobiles and everything you can think of are all over the streets. The traffic in some major cities are much worst than KL.
Perhaps this is an understatement, China is really an interesting country, and the history, I don't even know where to begin. But you just have to careful in China, all the rip-offs on the streets and shops. But, perhaps the the biggest rip-off for me is the tour agency (Asia Cathay Travel a.k.a. Malaysia Harmony Tour & Travel) which sent us there. Very disappointed with the places they took us to, a lot of our time were wasted in silk factory, tea factory, jade factory and Chinese herbal factory. God knows the cut they made from us. I made my intention clear to the tour leader, but was told this is an "industry practice" for tours to China. But she is very kind and professional in dealing with pain in the as* like me. 1 thing I'm pretty happy with in this tour is the lunches and dinners, very good food indeed, and we got a good deal for 10 people.

It was a rip-off!! Instead of paying RMB 16 to the airport from Beijing city, I paid RMB 160 (but they asked for RMB250 on their 1st attempt). More on my Beijing page.

Bali, Apr 2008

My 3rd visit to Bali, won't be my last. This island never fails to disappoint me. Had some nice weather, took some wonderful pictures, especially those on the paddy fields.

Spent most of my time based in Ubud. Our driver took us to a nice paddy field in Jatiluwih, can't find this spot on Lonely Planet, pleasantly happy with this little discovery. Wanted to go to Candidasa, but can't find the time.

Also, our driver told us there will be a huge cremation for the king of Ubud on 15th July, the king died not long ago. The Hindu believes 15th July will be a good day for the cremation. Perhaps this is all the reason I need to go back to Bali.

Stockholm, Dec 2007

My 1st winter holiday in Europe. Scandinavia specifically. Enjoyed Stockholm too much, but I think most would agree with me when I say Stockholm is at its best in the summer! For the little 4 days I was there, the sun is sorely missed, no snow though. Taking pictures in the grey, cloudless sky is quite a challenge, as you can see.

Also, check out my new pictures in Oslo. And the pictures I'm happy with in Vigeland Park, in white and golden.

• Intro Updated Mar 9, 2015

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Hi there! Hope u enjoy this: I included your jump pic in the BEST OF VT Jumpers at
    youtube.com/watch?v=4pZjQ2dh...

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Hi Dennis - still in the chilly north?

• wandeljp's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2010 at 4:04 AM

Hi Dennis, I wish you a fantastic 2010. Friendly regards from cold Belgium. JP

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Dennis, Thanks for your nice postard of Oslo. Have posted it on my VT front page as well as one of my 3 permanent postcard blogs. Happy Malaysia Day September 13. Cheers, SL :)

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Dennis! The jumping pictures you sent are awesome and one of my favorites is your sister jumping in Poland -- can u please ask her to jump more? hehehe...Norman :)

• a2lopes's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Selamat hari jadi Dennis. Hope you have a fantastic day. Greetings from Lisbon. Jumpa lagi

• kenyneo's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2009 at 1:29 AM

wow...working in Norway ...so cool ...hope everything goes well and happy new year to you ;-)

• Jan 17, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Ah, the Brugge one is really nice - thanks! Haven't been to Belgium yet - and what a great reason for me to go there;o)

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2008 at 12:53 AM

I wish you a wonderful HAPPY NEW YEAR full of joy!!!!

• Dec 31, 2007 at 11:20 AM

Happy new year 2008! Nikos from Greece and Emmy from Thailand

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
dfactor's Profile Photo

dfactor

“Johnnie says Keep Walking. Carpe Diem.”

Real Name