"A suburb of a suburb" Danville by Rusket

Danville Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 88 photos

Danville

In february 1997 my youngest son and I took a month's summer vacation in february :-) This was our first trip to the US, and we stayed with a cousin of mine who at that time lived in Blackhawk, Danville.

Danville is a community of appr. 40.000 people in the San Ramon Valley on the east side of the San Fransisco Bay in California. I don't know where all those people live, I did not see many of them! One day my son and I took a walk to find downtown Danville. We walked and walked, but never found it. Maybe we walked in the wrong direction, who knows. I have made a travelogue about that walk, to show you some beautiful scenery from the valley.

Blackhawk

No, I have not stolen this picture from Agraichen, we simply happened to take a picture from the same spot :-)

Blackhawk seems to be a suburb of Danville, which again might be seen as a suburb of San Fransisco. The area where my cousin used to live is surrounded by fences and walls, like some kind of a concentration camp. But a very beautiful one, with pretty houses.

There are two shopping centers close by, with malls, restaurants and whatever you need. We used to walk up there with a backpack when we went shopping. I guess that was a very uncommon sight for americans in 1997, they all stared at us. And road crossing was hazardous to life! Likewise it must have been an uncommon sight to see my unshaved legs; a woman shouted to me across a large parking lot: "Shave your legs, woman!" Not that they are very hairy, I don't know how she could see that they were unshaven from that distance!

Mt. Diablo

* under construction *

• Pros:Beaytiful countryside
  • Cons:Not for pedestrians
  • Last visit to Danville: Feb 1997
  • Intro Updated Jul 17, 2005

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2006 at 2:08 AM

Indian territory.... too little of American history recorded. Cheers, SL

• Rusket's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2005 at 9:47 PM

I would say it is more than just a bit artificial. Especially the Blackhawk Plaza. As to "worlds farthest", I am brought up with hearing that everything in the US i bigger and better ;-)

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2005 at 3:50 PM

Danville is a bit artificial. They say that the view from atop Diablo is the World's farthest - of course, you need a very clear day ;-]

Rusket

“Backpacking!”

Badges & Stats in Danville

Have you been to Danville?