"High peaks and deep canyons" Top 5 Page for this destination Nacionalni Park Durmitor by Rusket

Nacionalni Park Durmitor Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 188 photos

The Durmitor area was declared a national park in 1952 and inscribed on the Unesco World Heritage List in 1980, while the Tara River basin was declared a biosphere reserve in 1977. The area of 39,000 ha consists of a plateau at an altitude of 1500 meters, cut through by deep canyons and with 48 peaks higher than 2000 meters. The highest peak is Bobotov Kuk (2525 m). There are 18 glacier lakes, called mountain eyes. The biggest and easiest accessible one is Crno Jezero (the Black Lake) close to Žabljak.
There are many cultural monuments from the antic to modern times scattered around, especially from the middle age.

I have visited Durmitor NP twice, in april 2005 I travelled from Mojkovac to Djurdjevica by bus and taxi from there to Žabljak, in april 2006 I was on a day trip with friends from Pljevlja. All pictures are from my second visit.

• Last visit to Nacionalni Park Durmitor: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 29, 2007

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM

There is a really rich history around Djurdjevica bridge: you tell several of them (that I had not noticed!), and I found yet another monument! We enjoyed the time we spent there, though it was too short!

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2007 at 3:45 AM

If you return, I will take you out for lunch...you said you have to try the lamb!

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2007 at 4:50 AM

How spectacular. That bridge is incredible!!

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2006 at 4:20 AM

Some interesting things on a beautiful area and the view from the top of the mountain is fantastic.

Rusket

“Backpacking!”

Badges & Stats in Nacionalni Park Durmitor

Have you been to Nacionalni Park Durmitor?