"My home country" Norway by Rusket

Norway Travel Guide: 10,594 reviews and 30,057 photos

17 may

Norway is the country where everybody dress up in their national costumes for the day of constitution, and where we watch childrens parades instead of military ones. And we do it everywhere, not only in front of the kings palace in Oslo, but in the tiniest little spots. Or like here, in the street where I live.

I have found a very good VT site about Norway seen through a foreigners eyes: diocletianvs
He hits the nail on the head and writes with a large portion of humour :-)

Petroleum

We got rich because we were lucky enough to find natural gas and oil in the North Sea at the end of the 1960's. But we do have other industry as well. For years and years our main export consisted of fish and fish products, and the metallurgical industry flourished because of cheap hydropower.

This picture is an official postcard from Statfjord B. It is not copyrighted, thus I feel free to use it. And I have seen the sight, I have worked at all the three Statfjord platforms in addition to several other ones.

Fjords and mountains

Norway is fameous for its fjords and mountains, like The Pulpit in Lysefjorden by Stavanger. But we do have a lot more. I intend to show you some of the places that are not often heard about, and obviously also some of the better known ones.

You will not find very much information on my general page about Norway. But from time to time I will create tips about special sights / events / places that would otherwise be hard to discover for a foreign visitor.

Up to now, I have built / am building pages about:

Our northernmost county Finnmark

Levanger, the town where my father was born.

The city where I was born Trondheim (very little stuff here yet).

The dark woods of Finnskogen Svullrya

A few tips from our capital Oslo

Telemark, the county of my railway station, and the municipality Drangedal.
Other Telemark destinations:
Jomfruland
Kragerø
Nisser
Tangen
Treungen

Two destinations from Aust-Agder: Arendal and Nelaug, and two from Vest-Agder: Flekkefjord and Kristiansand

From Rogaland, the county I live in:
Bryne, where my parents live.
Stavanger where I live.
Stavanger's twin city Sandnes
and Tananger in the neighbouring municipality Sola.

More is to come :-)

• Pros:Rich and relatively peaceful
  • Cons:Cold and dark during winter
  • In a nutshell:I am obliged to love it, I am born here ;-)
  • Intro Updated Jan 5, 2006

• JessH's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Hello Marit. A very nice introduction to your country here, thanks for sharing! I visited Norway many years ago, it is beautiful :-) Hopefully I can return one day, but for now I will travel to Scotland again. Greetings from Dubai / Jess

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2006 at 9:14 AM

Must make it back to Norway one day - we have good friends there who keep saying 'come'. Finnmark looks wonderful.leyle

• poons's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2006 at 3:53 AM

Had a great trip to Munich Marit... an working on my pages right now. Have you managed to dig yourself out yet??? :o)

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2006 at 12:11 PM

Wonderful photos, is it usual to have so much snow ?

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2006 at 11:27 AM

WOWOWWOW! Do you still have so much snow? Haha, I'd love to go with that snowy train :-)

• MarieChristine's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2006 at 2:55 AM

Hehehe... that's beautiful :) It has been snowing a lot here as well lately and hasn't stopped yet... My back hurts from cleaning the front yard :P I'm wondering if it soon looks like over there hehe :)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2006 at 10:03 PM

Wow - so much snow !! Incredible ! Hihi, this calls for lots of snowball fights and snowmen building :-))

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2006 at 1:41 PM

WOW, lots of snow ! I can´t hardly imagine being at Madeira at the moment.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2006 at 9:22 AM

Oooh, so much snow, imagine a train coming like in Doctor Jivago, a steam locomotive coming to Bjosjo

• LanaFromRiga's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2006 at 4:42 AM

Really MUCH snow.

Rusket Visits Here Frequently!

Rusket