"Cavtat was here first!" Top 5 Page for this destination Cavtat by Rusket
Cavtat Travel Guide: 157 reviews and 419 photos
Cavtat is the croatian form of Civitas Vetus, the area of the Roman town Epidareus. Epidareus was ruined by Slavs and Avars in the seventh century, and legends say that the inhabitants fled to the safe area of Ragusa, which later became Dubrovnik. Much later Cavtat was rebuilt as a medieval town, but there are many monuments from it's early history, and more to be found in ongoing investigations. Remnants of the old aquaduct are still visible.
Cavtat, a small town of approximately 2000 inhabitants, is the administrative center of Konavle municipality in Dubrovacko-Neretvinska county. This is the southernmost area of Croatia, with borders to Bosnia & Hercegovina and to Montenegro. The name Konavle is derived from konali, that is canals, because of the aquaduct and the canals irrigating the Cavtat hinterland.
This was my second visit to Cavtat, the previous one was appr. 30 years ago. One of the things I remembered most from my first visit can be seen on this photo: Lemon trees. I remember picking lemons and oranges right from the trees in december! That was great for me, coming from the winter in Norway in the second half of the 1970-ies! We had been driving down from Beograd though Montenegro, having a Central European climate, and all of a sudden, we were in a totally different climate zone :-)
Another one of my memories was eating in an outdoor cafe the day before Christmas Eve. And I remember walking along the beautiful promenades of Cavtat and wading in the ocean. Sea temperature was 18 C, and the locals thought I was crazy when I said I wanted to take a swim :-)
Today Cavtat is mostly a tourist town, perfectly situated only 5 km from Cilipi airport, close to Dubrovnik and with great possibilities for bathing, sunbathing and water sports.
- Pros:Only 5 km from Cilipi airport!
- In a nutshell:Peaceful, nice climate, cheaper than Dubrovnik.
Local buses leave from Dubrovnik main bus terminal, and most of them stop by the Pile gate of Old Town Dubrovnik. But... more travel advice
Next time in Cavtat I am going to rent a car! There is a frequent bus connection to Dubrovnik, and some buses to other... more travel advice
Rusket's Related Pages
Cavtat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cavtat was here first!"
- "Cavtat, the south of the south in Croatia !"
- "Very nice Dalmation city Cavtat"
- "Beauty and Peace at Cavtat Bay"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cavtat
- Hotels in Cavtat
- Transportation in Cavtat
- Nightlife in Cavtat
- Restaurants in Cavtat
- Shopping in Cavtat
- Warnings and Dangers in Cavtat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cavtat
- 13 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Cavtat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cavtat
Photos in CavtatSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stavanger Intro, 28 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Drangedal Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dombås Intro, 14 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kragerø Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Redwood National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kotor Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cavtat Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue