"Cavtat was here first!" Top 5 Page for this destination Cavtat by Rusket

Cavtat Travel Guide: 157 reviews and 419 photos

Before Dubrovnik

Cavtat is the croatian form of Civitas Vetus, the area of the Roman town Epidareus. Epidareus was ruined by Slavs and Avars in the seventh century, and legends say that the inhabitants fled to the safe area of Ragusa, which later became Dubrovnik. Much later Cavtat was rebuilt as a medieval town, but there are many monuments from it's early history, and more to be found in ongoing investigations. Remnants of the old aquaduct are still visible.

Cavtat, a small town of approximately 2000 inhabitants, is the administrative center of Konavle municipality in Dubrovacko-Neretvinska county. This is the southernmost area of Croatia, with borders to Bosnia & Hercegovina and to Montenegro. The name Konavle is derived from konali, that is canals, because of the aquaduct and the canals irrigating the Cavtat hinterland.

Citrus

This was my second visit to Cavtat, the previous one was appr. 30 years ago. One of the things I remembered most from my first visit can be seen on this photo: Lemon trees. I remember picking lemons and oranges right from the trees in december! That was great for me, coming from the winter in Norway in the second half of the 1970-ies! We had been driving down from Beograd though Montenegro, having a Central European climate, and all of a sudden, we were in a totally different climate zone :-)

Mild winters

Another one of my memories was eating in an outdoor cafe the day before Christmas Eve. And I remember walking along the beautiful promenades of Cavtat and wading in the ocean. Sea temperature was 18 C, and the locals thought I was crazy when I said I wanted to take a swim :-)

Today Cavtat is mostly a tourist town, perfectly situated only 5 km from Cilipi airport, close to Dubrovnik and with great possibilities for bathing, sunbathing and water sports.

• Pros:Only 5 km from Cilipi airport!
  • In a nutshell:Peaceful, nice climate, cheaper than Dubrovnik.
  • Last visit to Cavtat: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 29, 2007

• Omegasaints10's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Superb page and all the photos and comments very helpful,can,t wait for June.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2009 at 11:35 AM

We plan a trip to Croatia spring next year. I will use much of your comments to plan that trip. Thank you for the detail and wonderful pictures.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2008 at 2:08 AM

Croatia looks beautiful.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2007 at 4:42 AM

What a lovely place! Some good tips, I especially liked the sound of your meal!!!

• Rusket's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Thank you, lubyatoo! I think I have changed every occurance now :-)

• lubyatoo's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2007 at 2:41 PM

Please note the correct spelling is Konavle and not Konavlje. Nice page.

• Azri_Azmi's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2006 at 4:01 AM

Very nice tips and exposure of Cavtat. I bet this place is such a peaceful place and the boat trip looks interesting even. Take care and regards from Melaka, Malaysia.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2006 at 4:16 AM

Right on about Cavtat, also more relaxed than Dubrovnik and the shore is beautiful.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2006 at 1:21 PM

I am back as promised :-) Very good tips & photos here. Nice place.

• LanaFromRiga's Profile Photo