"City of four rivers" Karlovac by Rusket
Karlovac Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 149 photos
I have visited Karlovac several times between 1972 and 2002. The picture is taken from Dubovac.
Karlovac is situated about 40 km south-west of Zagreb. The rivers Kupa and Korana flows trough the city, while Mre?nica and Dobra are a bit further away.
Karlovac was founded 13 July 1579 as a fortress in the defence line built by the Habsburgers against the Ottomans. The city walls are built in the shape of a star, and were surrounded by moats. The moats are now turned into parks, which makes Karlovac a green city.
The old part of the town is still called Zvijezda, which means Star :-)
The picture of the city plan is taken from the book Karlovac, edited by Dr. Milan Kruhek, 1998, page 18. The original map is in the Kriegsarchiv Wien.
Some parts of Karlovac have been reconstructed after the last war, like the house in the middle of this picture, where I spent all my summer holidays and a couple of winter holidays in the period 1972 - 1980. This picture is taken in april 2002. The house is now used as a PUB.
- Pros:A historical and very beautiful city
- Cons:Too little money for reconstruction
I celebrated my 21th birthday in this hotel, which by that time went by the name Hotel Park. Hotel Korana was the... more travel advice
Rusket's Related Pages
Karlovac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of four rivers"
- "TURANJ NEAR KARLOVAC"
- "The rivers of Karlovac"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Karlovac
- Hotels in Karlovac
- Nightlife in Karlovac
- Restaurants in Karlovac
- Shopping in Karlovac
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Karlovac
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Karlovac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Karlovac
Photos in KarlovacSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stavanger Intro, 28 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Drangedal Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dombås Intro, 14 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kragerø Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Redwood National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kotor Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cavtat Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue