"Venetian town" Komiza by Rusket
Komiza Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 26 photos
Komiza i the second largest town on the island Vis, and was founded in the venetian period. It is situated in the bottom of the Komiza Bay on the west coast of Vis, at the foot of the 587 m high mountain Hum. People in Komiza traditionally live from wine production, citrus fruits and fishery. There is (or was?) fish processing industry and a shipyard.
My source says that the stone walls in the hillside are remnants of fortresses built in the venetian period, but could they also have something to do with agriculture?
The Dalmatian coast has a tradition for tourism. In the 1970' and 1980's many norwegians spent their holdays there. But Vis was closed for foreigners at that time, due to it's strategic location. It was opened in 1989, but because of the last war tourism is still in it's elementary stage.
I have not really been on Vis, just spent a couple of hours in Komiza on the way back from the Blue Grotto (see my Bisevo page).
The Island Vis has a very long history, at least 10.000 years. During a part of WWII it had a strategic role, and Tito hid in a cave some time. If you want to read more about the history of the island, I suggest you take a look at KristaB's page "Planet Vis". She has some beautiful pictures and gives quite a few good tips. There are a couple of other pages about the island and the town Vis as well.
Komiza is a town I would really like to come back to, and after reading other VT members pages, that goes for the rest of the island, too!
- Pros:The warmest place in Croatia, 8,9C in january :-)
- In a nutshell:Historic, warm and beautiful
There is a ferry from Split to Vis twice a day. I guess there is a bus connection between Vis and Komiza, if not, taxi's... more travel advice
Rusket's Related Pages
Komiza Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Komiza, Otok Vis"
- "Venetian town"
- "Family, family & more family"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Komiza
- Hotels in Komiza
- Transportation in Komiza
- Restaurants in Komiza
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Komiza
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Komiza?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Komiza
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stavanger Intro, 28 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Drangedal Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dombås Intro, 14 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kragerø Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Redwood National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kotor Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cavtat Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue