"Hike to Cerni Vrh" Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha by Rusket

Naroden Park Vitosha Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 197 photos

VT hike

Upon my return to Sofia after a VT road trip in Macedonia, I stayed with my VT friend Christina and her husband. I had read Christina and her sister Childish's pages about Vitosha National Park already, and was keen to go hiking there. What a day! Four different means of transport, a lost wallet that was returned with the contents intact, stunning views, a lovely hike and a leg injury that could have ended up a lot more serious!

Norwegian wood

The hiking trail between Aleko and Crni Vrh took us through varied nature, from foresty areas to bare mountain, past several moraines. Most of the trees are Norway Spruce, the big difference is that here they grow at an elevation of 1800 meters, 1000 meters higher than in Norway! At the same time there was still, in mid july, snow on the mountain sides.

First national park

Vitosha is the oldes national park in the Balkans, established in 1936. There are several peaks over 2000 meters, the highest is Cerni Vrh with 2290 meter.

• Last visit to Naroden Park Vitosha: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 30, 2006

• wandeljp's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2012 at 5:46 AM

I was in Sofia last year. And I enjoy it. Bad enough , I didn't take the time to hiking in Vitosha. Perhaps another time. Your page is great !

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2006 at 1:17 AM

How is the mountain goat now a month on? The scenary looks lovely what a cool thing to do

• LanaFromRiga's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2006 at 6:40 AM

Hi Marit! Great Bulgarian mountains.

• desert_princess's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2006 at 2:30 PM

A lovely page about my Home mountain. At the meteorological station they serve the best herbal tea I"ve ever had - the woman collects it her own from the mountain meadows

• Childish's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2006 at 4:45 AM

Hi Rusket! I must to thank you (to my sis as well)- I was about to miss this trip. Good research work! Hope next time you meet Red Cross guys only for having a cup of coffee or lentil soup.

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2006 at 9:30 PM

Nice page, Marit! Now I have to update mine!

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2006 at 12:49 PM

That's the spirit.. always look on the bright side...

• kaliopA's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2006 at 8:46 AM

Never take short cuts next time :-)

Rusket

“Backpacking!”

Badges & Stats in Naroden Park Vitosha

Have you been to Naroden Park Vitosha?

Latest Activity in Naroden Park Vitosha