"On the road again" Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar by Rusket

Sankt Goar Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 428 photos

Lovely little place by the Rhine

This is what I had learned about St. Goar by reading VT pages before I went:

It is a small, touristy place by the river Rhine, right opposite of the fameous Lorelei Cliff. It is named after the Holy Goar, who built a hostel for poor and sick people there in the sixth century. It is very noisy due to trains running through every half hour day and night. There is a castle named Burg Rheinfels there.

I had also been warned about the hords of tourists streaming out of tourist buses. Guess I was lucky with the timing; There was a World Cup of football going on. This is what the streets looked like during my stay, 29 June - 02 July 2006.

Where are the mountains?

On the trip from the airport, I was waiting for the landscape to rise. Where I come from, valleys are between mountains. But all I could see was flat farmland. Well, not totally flat, but only smooth hills, no mountains. Then the road DESCENDED, and I finally understood: The Rhine valley is not a result of glaciers carving their way through mountains, but the river digging itself down from the flatland ;-) And there is rock under the farmland, making the riverbanks steep and mountainlike.

What I did not do

I had only two full days, meaning I had to choose only a few things to do. Depending on when you are there, there are lots of other options, like:
- River Pilot museum open everey saturday
- Guided hikes
- Eagle and falcon performances at Burg Maus
- Numerous cultural and festive arrrangements

More info can be obtained at theTourist Information:
Heerstraße 86
56329 St. Goar
Tel. 06741-383
Fax 06741-7209
E-Mail: touristinfo@st-goar.de

Official St. Goar site (in german!)

• Pros:Trains, boats, Doll and Bear Museum, food, hiking possibilities
  • Cons:Lack of info in english, not welcoming solo travellers
  • In a nutshell:Trains, the Rhine, castles, wine production and nice old buildings.
  • Last visit to Sankt Goar: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2006

• charlesracine's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Hi, regarding your Sankt Goar tip, I would not call myself a train freak but, it is often the way to go. When it suits the situation, I use it. Chuck/charlesracine

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2006 at 11:32 AM

Wow - wonderful !! This is really a five star page now, Marit ! So bad that you had this experience with being non-group traveller, it is a shame that they don't realize that at Rhine valley. If you need help, identifying the castles - let me know :-)

• Rhondaj's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2006 at 11:33 AM

Each of your tips is packed with oodles of helpful (and honest) advice. I very much enjoyed reading them. It looks like you had nice weather! :-)

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2006 at 7:37 AM

Very nice page. I want to have a Flammkuchen too :)

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2006 at 2:34 PM

LOL Flammkuchen! It's a French/German speciality from the Alsace region. Very thin dough, a bit thinner even than a pizza. The classic one is made with using creme fraiche as a topping, plus some bacon cubes and of course cheese :))

Rusket

“Backpacking!”

Badges & Stats in Sankt Goar

Have you been to Sankt Goar?

Latest Activity in Sankt Goar