"On the road again" Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar by Rusket
Sankt Goar Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 454 photos
This is what I had learned about St. Goar by reading VT pages before I went:
It is a small, touristy place by the river Rhine, right opposite of the fameous Lorelei Cliff. It is named after the Holy Goar, who built a hostel for poor and sick people there in the sixth century. It is very noisy due to trains running through every half hour day and night. There is a castle named Burg Rheinfels there.
I had also been warned about the hords of tourists streaming out of tourist buses. Guess I was lucky with the timing; There was a World Cup of football going on. This is what the streets looked like during my stay, 29 June - 02 July 2006.
On the trip from the airport, I was waiting for the landscape to rise. Where I come from, valleys are between mountains. But all I could see was flat farmland. Well, not totally flat, but only smooth hills, no mountains. Then the road DESCENDED, and I finally understood: The Rhine valley is not a result of glaciers carving their way through mountains, but the river digging itself down from the flatland ;-) And there is rock under the farmland, making the riverbanks steep and mountainlike.
I had only two full days, meaning I had to choose only a few things to do. Depending on when you are there, there are lots of other options, like:
- River Pilot museum open everey saturday
- Guided hikes
- Eagle and falcon performances at Burg Maus
- Numerous cultural and festive arrrangements
More info can be obtained at theTourist Information:
56329 St. Goar
Official St. Goar site (in german!)
- Pros:Trains, boats, Doll and Bear Museum, food, hiking possibilities
- Cons:Lack of info in english, not welcoming solo travellers
- In a nutshell:Trains, the Rhine, castles, wine production and nice old buildings.
The area between Rüdesheim/Bingen and Koblenz has been on the Unesco World Heritage list since 2002. It is packed with... more travel advice
The Loreley Cliff was a dissappointment. Nothing to see on the cliff itself. Well, it was a nice walk and beautiful... more travel advice
Rusket's Related Pages
Sankt Goar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St.Goar - the home of the Loreley / Lorelei"
- "Our homebase on the Rhein"
- "On the road again"
- "weekend in St. Goar"
- "Twin Town"
- "Sankt Goar"
- "Sankt Goar - Rhine river, castles, wineyards!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sankt Goar
- Hotels in Sankt Goar
- Transportation in Sankt Goar
- Nightlife in Sankt Goar
- Restaurants in Sankt Goar
- Shopping in Sankt Goar
- Warnings and Dangers in Sankt Goar
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sankt Goar
- 15 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Sankt Goar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sankt Goar
Photos in Sankt GoarSee All Photos (86)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stavanger Intro, 28 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Drangedal Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dombås Intro, 14 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kragerø Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Redwood National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kotor Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cavtat Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue