"The state of sun and sandy beaches" California by Rusket
California Travel Guide: 45,320 reviews and 106,335 photos
This is what most norwegians associate with California, large, sandy beaches. Well, we imagine them full of people, like we have seen on Baywatch ;-) This picture was taken in february, on what I would call a nice, warm day, but apparently the californians do not agree with me.
My uncle emigrated to California in 1926, and had four children. On my first visit in 1997, his widow and my four cousins were all alive, my aunt and my oldest cousin both passed away prior to my second visit in 2001.
But California is more than just beaches. Among other things it is also a state of natural disasters. Some of them are abrupt, like eartquakes and forest fires, others more subtle like erosion and (sometimes) land slides.
On this picture we can see that the draught season has started; the vegetation is changing color from green to brown. There is evidence of a minor land slide and erosion, too. In the dry season a small spark, like someone throwing away a cigarette, could be enough to start a fire, and a heavy rainfall would wash out the soil and possibly start a slide.
We experienced a minor earthquake during our first stay. I did not even notice, but my then 6 year old son did, and so did my cousin.
California has some of the best athletes of synchronized swimming in the world. The picture shows Stanford University's 1997 team in a competition at Berkely. I was surprised to see how few spectators there were, is american football the only sport worth watching?
While in California we did of course travel around, and saw some of the "usual" sights and som unusual ones. I have made / will make separate pages about some of the places we visited, and tips about some of the things we did. But it will take some time: On our first visit my camera broke down, I shall have to collect pictures taken by others during our stay. The pictures I do have from 1997 are on paper only, I have to scan and edit them.
A list of places we have been: Sacramento, Jamestown, Danville, Orinda, Walnut Creek, Berkely, SF, Monterey, Disneyland, Yosemite, Mohave Desert, Boron ...
- Pros:Sun, varied nature, trains, Disneyland
- Cons:Natural disasters, huge shops, lack of public transportation
- In a nutshell:A nice place to be during winter :-)
California Highway 49 takes you through central areas of Gold Country. Not only does it take you to several well... more travel advice
Jamestown is in the middle of Gold Country, and close to Yosemite Park. Railtown is not only a train museum, but also a... more travel advice
Rusket's Related Pages
California Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CALIFORNIA ~ It's not about the glam, but nature!"
- "California - What More Do I Need To Say?"
- "Always on My Mind....California"
- "Our awesome trip to California summer of 2004"
- "The Regions of California"
- "GOLDEN STATE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in California
- Hotels in California
- Transportation in California
- Nightlife in California
- Restaurants in California
- Shopping in California
- Warnings and Dangers in California
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in California
- 27 Reviews
- 143 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to California?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in California
Photos in CaliforniaSee All Photos (143)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stavanger Intro, 28 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Drangedal Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dombås Intro, 14 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kragerø Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Redwood National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kotor Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cavtat Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (51)
Top California hotels
- San Francisco Hotels
- 9083 Reviews - 19112 Photos
- Los Angeles Hotels
- 4336 Reviews - 8577 Photos
- San Diego Hotels
- 3050 Reviews - 6642 Photos
- Anaheim Hotels
- 702 Reviews - 1934 Photos
- Santa Barbara Hotels
- 647 Reviews - 1200 Photos
- Monterey Hotels
- 909 Reviews - 2715 Photos
- Santa Monica Hotels
- 476 Reviews - 1051 Photos
- Palm Springs Hotels
- 345 Reviews - 758 Photos
- Napa Hotels
- 419 Reviews - 1142 Photos
- Carmel-by-the-Sea Hotels
- 378 Reviews - 1052 Photos
- Marina del Rey Hotels
- 97 Reviews - 176 Photos
- Yosemite National Park Hotels
- 1492 Reviews - 3394 Photos
- Hollywood Hotels
- 431 Reviews - 1249 Photos
- Carlsbad Hotels
- 180 Reviews - 328 Photos
- Santa Cruz Hotels
- 284 Reviews - 635 Photos