"Nostalgia" Fort Augustus by Rusket

Fort Augustus Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 41 photos

In 1985 I was on a road trip through UK with my (then) two sons. We had a lot of rain, and when we got to a small town by the south-west end of Loch Ness, and found a cozy hotel run by a nice family, we just settled down for a while. Four of 7 siblings were running the hotel while their mother, the boss, was hospitalized. They were very busy, and since I did not have a lot to do in the rain, I started helping out in the bar in the evenings :-) After closing hours one of the siblings and I would sit in the kitchen playing backgammon until early next morning :-)

Now I was on a road trip again, together with VT members poons and Backpackermoose. Getting closer and closer to Fort Augustus, I became more and more excited. Would I find the hotel after 21 years? Would it still be a hotel? Would it be run by the same family?

• Last visit to Fort Augustus: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 23, 2006

• poons's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Great Ft Augustus page Marit. Hope it's not 21 years til I stay at the Caledonian again :o))) haha guess what - for my window boxes I actually had to pay money for some heather today... Jeez!

• LanaFromRiga's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2006 at 10:32 PM

Never been in Scotland. Fort Augustus would be good place for starting the trip.

• daarth's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2006 at 10:40 PM

Woohoo!!! It really was a nice little place :-) I would also like to go back!

Rusket

“Backpacking!”

Badges & Stats in Fort Augustus

Have you been to Fort Augustus?

Latest Activity in Fort Augustus