"Where south and west meet" Flekkefjord by Rusket

Flekkefjord Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 16 photos

Facts

Flekkefjord is situated halfway between Stavanger and Kristiansand, where the western and southern coasts of Norway meet. Almost 9000 inhabitants share an area of 539 square kilometers. The climate is ideal, with warm summers and mild winters. But you don't have to go far to find skiing facilities, Knaben and Sirdal are appr. 1 hour away by car.

The fjord Lafjorden splits the town in two, but is narrow as a river right in the city center, and then continues another five km inland.

Architecture

Like in most of the cute little towns scattered along the southern coast, most houses are wooden and white. Even the new ones. The architecture is a mix of swiss style, neoclassistic and traditional and modern norwegian.

The hospital

Flekkefjord hospital has specialized in several kinds of surgery, which has made it a popular goal for people don't wanting to wait very long for a small operation. Like myself, I have been there twice to do minor operations instead of waiting for months to have it done in a larger hospital, or as in this latest case not at all. It is not a private clinic, though, all we have to pay is the fee we pay anywhere in the social sequrity system's hospitals. Earlier we had to patiently wait "in line" at our local hospital, but nowadays we have the right to choose any hospital. That is why I travelled two hours to have this thing fixed, and a nice journey it was, too :-)

• In a nutshell:Nice climate, pretty town
  • Last visit to Flekkefjord: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Oct 5, 2005

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2005 at 8:09 AM

Hihi :-))) I remember that I saw these cycling equipment - but it might as well have in Timbuktu (where I never was, but which is my say for when I don't have a clue). Oh my, Alzheimer is entering my brain :-) The reflection pic of the fjord is amazing !

Rusket

“Backpacking!”

Badges & Stats in Flekkefjord

Have you been to Flekkefjord?

Latest Activity in Flekkefjord