"A cute litte town at the south-eastern coast" Kragerø by Rusket
Kragerø Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 66 photos
Although Kragerø is only half an hour from Brøsjø by car, the climate is totally different. Kragerø is the southernmost city of Telemark, at the south-eastern coast of Norway, 194 km from Oslo, 145 km from Kristiansand. Population appr. 11.000, appr. 4000 holiday homes, and an archipelago of 495 islands and islets.
Kragerø is mentioned in writing in 1623, and acquired status as a city in 1666. At that time overseas lumber trade was thriving. A few wealthy merchants controlled the trade as well as mines, ironworks, shipyards, sawmills, mills and waterways. In 1807 the "golden years" of Kragerø ended, when the neutral kingdom Denmark / Norway was forced to take part in the Napoleon war.
Later export of ice became important, and from 1850 shipping expanded. In 1880 there were more than 40 shipyards, 168 sailing ships and 1614 sailors. Development of modern freezing technique and steem engines and steel hulled ships ended this period of wealth.
A high percentage of the inhabitants are employed in different kinds of factories and workshops. But one of the main companies, Tangen Shipyard, was shut down in 2003.
Kragerø has a tradition for art, culture and boating, and there are several festivals and other arrangements each year. An exotic arrangement is the summer ski race in june: Snow is driven by trucks from high up in the mountains and spread in the streets. The race gathers skiers from norwegian and sometimes international elite, and has become quite popular ;-)
- Pros:Archipelago, climate, festivals, architecture
- Cons:The railroad track has been physically removed :-(
- In a nutshell:Cute and cozy :-)
The M/S Fjordclipper normally sails the Oslo Fjord, but each year it relocates to Kragerø in July to take tourists on... more travel advice
This bank is situated right at the city square. There is an outdoor ATM. Opening hours: - Monday to friday 09:00 -... more travel advice
Rusket's Related Pages
Kragerø Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A cute litte town at the south-eastern coast"
- "My summerhouse in Kragerø"
- "My favorite place on earth"
- "Kragerø - one of Norways most fun summer resorts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kragerø
- Transportation in Kragerø
- Restaurants in Kragerø
- Shopping in Kragerø
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kragerø
- 39 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Kragerø?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kragerø
Photos in KragerøSee All Photos (51)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stavanger Intro, 28 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Drangedal Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dombås Intro, 14 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kragerø Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Redwood National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kotor Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cavtat Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue