"The "capital" of southern Norway" Top 5 Page for this destination Kristiansand by Rusket
Kristiansand Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 270 photos
Kristiansand is the fifth largest city in Norway, with 75.000 inhabitants. It is situated on the southern coast, with a nice summer climate and snowy winters. It is named after the danish-norwegian king Christian IV, who established the City in 1641. He was very fond of naming cities after himself; we have another city called Kristiansund, and Oslo had the name Christiania for a period. There are a couple of Christian*something* in Denmark as well ;-)
Among other things, Kristiansand is known for its zoo / amusement park, the Quart music festival and for beeing the capital of "the black belt", an area with many christian congregations. I will not write a lot of tips about Kristiansand, since many others have already done so.
In Kristiansand the Sørland railway line is shaped like a Y, which means that trains change direction. Before we got the tilttrains, which can be driven in both directions, they had to shift the locomotives from one end to the other. (They still do on the overnight train.) What I do not like about that is that not all the seats on the tilt can be turned, and since I always buy cheap seats through internet, I very often end up in one of the non turnable ones, and have to travel backwards half the trip :-(
1/4 of my ancestors come from this area, most of them from a small island called Flekkerøy.
More info in this site: http://www.kristiansand.kommune.no/default.asp?id=7047
There are several Egon restaurants around Norway. I do not know whether the kitchen holds the same quality in all of... more travel advice
In addition to the three daily trains to / from Stavanger and the four to / from Oslo, there is an overnight service.... more travel advice
Rusket's Related Pages
Kristiansand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The "capital" of southern Norway"
- "Kristiansand, Norway"
- "Saagar's Kristiansand page"
- "One day in Kristiansand"
- "Kristiansand a kozy little town south of Norway"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kristiansand
- Hotels in Kristiansand
- Transportation in Kristiansand
- Restaurants in Kristiansand
- Shopping in Kristiansand
- Warnings and Dangers in Kristiansand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kristiansand
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Kristiansand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kristiansand
Photos in KristiansandSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stavanger Intro, 28 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Drangedal Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dombås Intro, 14 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kragerø Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Redwood National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kotor Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cavtat Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue