Stavanger Off The Beaten Path Tips by Rusket Top 5 Page for this destination
Stavanger Off The Beaten Path: 31 reviews and 74 photos
Did you know that corn can be grown in Norway? The depicted corn was found in the Allotment garden Rosendal og Ramsvik which is situated in Storhaug east of downtown Stavanger, along the fjord (Gandsfjorden). You get there by taking bus no 4 to "Sandnesgaten".
There are four allotment gardens in Stavanger; Rosendal og Ramsvik and Strømvik in Stavanger east, Egenes and Våland in Stavanger west. During the summer season they are open for the public sundays, and coffee and waffles can be bought cheaply. It is very relaxing to walk along the walkways and look at all the beautiful flowers and vegetables people grow there.
The allotment movement started late in the 19th century. The first Norwegian allotment garden was founded in Halden in 1896, the second one in Oslo in 1907. Originally the gardens were meant for workers living in the cities to have the possibility to grow their own vegetables and have some fresh air. Before and during WWII the gardens were of great help. The lots were small, as were the cabins. The gardens were situated within city borders.
Nowadays the gardens are more for recreation. But they are still not meant to live in, although a lot of people spend the whole summer there. There is a lot of common activities and a place for the generations to meet. Most of the old gardens are still active, although some have been demolished due to "progress". The allotment movement has been fighting for the excistance of many a garden.
The linked page is in Norwegian, but you are probably able to understand adresses and phone numbers :-)
Rosenli and path
Rosenli is a beautiful recreational area close to the city. It would take you 20 - 25 minutes to get there by foot from downtown. Or you could go by bus no 4A or 4B to the end stop; a roundabout by the buildings on top of the hill. NB check that the bus is marked "Rosenli", or you would end up on the other side of the city ;-) From the roundabout walk between the tall and the lower buildings and you will find the walkway that ends where the two people are. See the linked map and / or check my "things to do" tip about hiking / biking close to the city.
There is a nice walking / biking path here, barbeque areas, lawns excellent for sunbathing and a couple of snug beaches. The path continues to Godalen along Gandsfjorden (towards the photographer), another, or should we say the same, nice recreational area. You could go directly to Godalen by bus no 6.
In fact this is a very beaten path, it is the sidewalk of the very busy Madlaveien, the main westbound road out from Stavanger. A lot of people use it daily, but fail to see it's beauty as they hurry along. It is particularly beautiful this time of the year with alle the flowers blooming. The path is not long, it starts at the underpass by the theater and leeds to the main entrance of the old hospital. But it is a serene oasis in the midst of the city. Enjoy!
More pictures in my travelogue "Beaten path".
More Reviews (25)
Rusket's Related Pages
Stavanger Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stavanger-Lovely city"
- "58.58N 5.44E"
- "Beautiful Stavanger"
- "Gard's Stavanger Page"
- "Hiking to Preikestolen"
- "STAVANGER - 4TH LARGEST CITY IN NORWAY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stavanger
- Hotels in Stavanger
- Transportation in Stavanger
- Nightlife in Stavanger
- Restaurants in Stavanger
- Shopping in Stavanger
- Warnings and Dangers in Stavanger
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stavanger
- 28 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Stavanger?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stavanger
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stavanger Intro, 28 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Drangedal Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dombås Intro, 14 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kragerø Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Redwood National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kotor Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cavtat Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (51)
- Preikestolen & Kjeragbolten- 13 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Gamle Stavanger- 11 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Lysenfjorden - Not pulpit or kjærag- 10 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Stavanger domkirke- 6 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Breiavatnet- 5 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Hafsfjord- 3 Reviews, 4 Photos
- Flor og Fjære Island- 2 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Oljemuseet- 6 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Svarthola- 2 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Sculptures general- 3 Reviews, 9 Photos
See All Stavanger Things to Do