"The town where I was born" Trondheim by Rusket
Trondheim Travel Guide: 354 reviews and 1,035 photos
This picture is taken from the air as part of a map drawing project the year I was born. In the upper right corner you can see three wooden buildings like three of the sides of a square. My family lived in the backmost of the three. There were 8 flats in the house, our flat is at the second floor (first floor in english) and to the right. From our livingroom we had a view of the railway line, and across the line was an airport. Right in front of the buildings is a train station. No wonder I am crazy about trains, and quite fond of planes, too :-)
The reason why I became a high temperature metallurgist can not be seen on this picture, it is right above the frame: A smelting plant that we could see from our kitchen window :-)
At the top left part of the picture, you can see three buildings connected, alongside a side road. This is Strindheim Skole, a primary school which at that time lasted 7 years. My father was a teacher at the school, my two brothers spent all the 7 years there, and my sister finished her first three years. I spent only 4 days of preschool there, actually it was a test to see if we were ready for school.
During the summer of 1962 we moved to the other side of Trondheim. In fact, neither Leangen nor Byåsen which we moved to, were parts of Trondheim at that time, but of a neighbouring municipality named Strinda. Strinda became a part of Trondheim in the mid sixties.
In the foreground of this picture is one of the docks of Trondheim Mekaniske Verksted, a shipyard where my grandfather worked as a foreman. The shipyard relocated here in 1899, it had appr. 700 employees and was the 8th largest company in Norway.
When the shipyard closed down in 1983, local activists / artists "saved" the area by establishing cultural workshops, music festivals etc.
Nowadays the area is called Nedre Elvehavn (Lower River Harbour), and houses apartment buildings, shops and restaurants. Several of the shipyard buildings and some of the equipment is preserved. The restaurant area around the dock is called Solsiden (The Sunny Side) for obvious reasons ;-)
My mother grew up un the corner apartment on the third (second in english) floor of the building in the middle of this picture. Beautiful, isn't it? The lower building to the left is the old police station.
Every building on this farm from 1820 is turned into restaurants / bars / meeting facilities. They have everything from... more travel advice
Rusket's Related Pages
Trondheim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "3 days in Trondheim"
- "Norway's First Capital, Trondhjem"
- "The anciest Norway's Capital"
- "Trondheim - Under construction"
- "Trondheim - A visit on historical ground"
- "The city where I studied"
- "Nidaros - Historical capital of Norway"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trondheim
- Hotels in Trondheim
- Transportation in Trondheim
- Nightlife in Trondheim
- Restaurants in Trondheim
- Shopping in Trondheim
- Warnings and Dangers in Trondheim
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trondheim
- 2 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Trondheim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trondheim
- Posted in Travel Republic of Montenegro Forum "Re: montenegro in september"
- updated a Trondheim Travel Page "The town where I was born"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The town where I was born"
- Wrote a Review Restaurant in stable and barn in Trondheim Restaurants
- Commented on one of bpacker's Trondheim travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stavanger Intro, 28 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Drangedal Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dombås Intro, 14 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kragerø Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Redwood National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kotor Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cavtat Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (51)
Latest Trondheim hotel reviews
- Fru Scholler Hotel
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Trondheim Youth hostel AS
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2012
- Sandmoen Motell og Camping
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 5, 2013
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 5, 2013
- Clarion Collection Hotel Grand Olav
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Scandic Hotel Prinsen
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Nova Hotel Trondheim
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 15, 2013
- Scandic Solsiden Trondheim
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Rica Nidelven Hotel
- 171 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- Clarion Collection Bakeriet
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Best Western Chesterfield Hotel
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Britannia Hotel Trondheim
- 106 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Thon Trondheim Hotel
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013
- Quality Hotel Augustin Trondheim
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 23, 2013