"Safari day 3" Top 5 Page for this destination Rhodes Matopos National Park by Rusket

Matopos or Matobo

Following independence in 1980, a lot of names in Zimbabwe were changed. Thus the name of the area is now Matobo. This sign bears the old name of the park, Rhodes Matopos National Park. The park was named after Cecil Rhodes, who is buried here. The park also goes by the name Matobo National Park.

Catch

Today's "catch": Two crocodiles, 6 rhinoes, 4 hippoes, zebras and impalas. We got quite close to the mother and child rhino you see in the picture: What you see to the left, is my son's knee, he was sitting on the hood of the jeep :-)

Vegetation

Due to high water table there is more and greener vegetation here than in the other parts of Zimbabwe we visited.

• Last visit to Rhodes Matopos National Park: Feb 2002
  • Intro Updated Apr 12, 2007

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2007 at 2:57 AM

I LOVED Zimbabwe it is such a magical place. You were SO lucky in Matopos, we never saw that many animals - the Rhino are gorgeous though! Well worth the trip.....Hugs....Ali x

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 2:05 AM

Looks like a cool adventure!

• ChristinaNest's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2006 at 11:47 PM

WOW again!!! I also find hippos soo cute, didn't know there were that dangerous... My son has s hippo bath sponge, should we be careful, or they are friendly when in water :)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2005 at 11:47 PM

I would love to go game watching one day - your page is very inspiring. The animal pictures are wonderful :-) And I would do exactly like your son - sleeping on the truck roof and see millions of stars :-)

Rusket

“Backpacking!”

Badges & Stats in Rhodes Matopos National Park

Have you been to Rhodes Matopos National Park?

Latest Activity in Rhodes Matopos National Park