"Capital of Kiribati" Bairiki by Rusket
Bairiki Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos
The picture shows the presidents office, where we had to go to pay for our visas and get our passports back, and to pay the symbolic sum of 1 AUD per person per night for our camping trip to Biketawa. The president himself passed us in his black limo one of the times we were there, but we did not notice until afterwards, when someone told us :-)
The Parliament, however, is a new and pretty building. I don't know what happened to my picture of it, but Glenn57 has one on his Kiribati intropage.
Bairiki is a city, with more than one street, and the administrative center of Kiribati. There is an outdoor market there, donated by the chinese, and a shopping center consisting of two rows of twostory buildings with differents shops, a couple of cafees and a travelling agency where they among other things sell tickets with Air Kiribati.
TSKL, the Kiribati telecompany, has its main office here, with an internet cafe on the ground floor. There are also schools and a sports arena here, and a bank (or two).
Right outside the town is a slum-like area, totally unlike the normal, beautiful native villages. The big difference from Soweto is that the slum areas in Soweto are better organized. But there are nice areas, too.
Rusket's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Bairiki
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Bairiki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bairiki
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stavanger Intro, 28 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Drangedal Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dombås Intro, 14 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kragerø Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Redwood National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kotor Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cavtat Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue