"Tarawa" Tarawa by Rusket
Tarawa Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 13 photos
Tarawa is the main atoll of Kiribati, with the capital Bairiki, Bonriki International Airport and the villages Bikenibeu and Betio.
Kiribati is as close to heaven as you can come (on earth), but the Tarawa atoll is densely populated. I read somewhere that population density is expected to reach the level of Hong Kong in a few years! They rapidly copy the life style of our westernly "civilization". This has led to problems like extensive littering, pollution of the lagune, alcoholism and slum areas.
But there are nice areas on Tarawa as well, where people live more traditionally! Especially on the eastern and northern parts of the atoll. The picture is from Bikenibeu, where my friend Keetia lives.
A few countries have an Embassy / representation on Tarawa. The largest / best looking building except from the Parliament, is the Chinese Embassy :-)
I have made separate pages about the towns Betio and Bairiki, and you can find more info about Kiribati on my general Kiribati and Gilbert Islands pages.
The first day of our stay at Otiintai we saw a big tunafish laying outside the hotel kitchen, and we could smell it the... more travel advice
Very nice camp site on an isolated part of the Tarawa atoll, administered by the government and supervised by a... more travel advice
Rusket's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Tarawa
- 5 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Tarawa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarawa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stavanger Intro, 28 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Drangedal Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dombås Intro, 14 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kragerø Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Redwood National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kotor Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cavtat Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue