"Birth place of South Australia" Top 5 Page for this destination Glenelg by Rusket
Glenelg Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 168 photos
Glenelg is the town where the State of South Australia was proclaimed on 28 december 1836. Even though it is considered a suburb of Adelaide and is a part of the City of Holdfast Bay, it is a town of it's own. It is situated beautifully by Holdfast Bay, Gulf St Vincent, with nice beaches. What a pity it was cold when we were there! Temperature was appr. 10 C less than it should have been by that time of the year, and too cold to enjoy the lovely beaches for other purposes than nice walks. Well, we did see some brave people swimming, but i doubt they enjoyed it much!
Before the europeans arrived, the area was populated by the Kaurna people. Glenelg was originally a fishing village, harbour for tall ships and a summer retreat for people from Adelaide. Nowadays it is a summer retreat for people from all over the world :-)
We just HAD to stay in Glenelg, rather than in Adelaide. The decision was made by our moose Elge: Elg means moose, and he thought the town was named after him ;-)
Here you can find more info about Glenelg and the rest of the City of Holdfast Bay
The shopping street is the same as the cafe and restaurant street and as the tram street: It is Jetty Road :-) And there... more travel advice
Along Jetty Road there are lots of cafees and restaurants, you can have food from every corner of the world. We ate at... more travel advice
Rusket's Related Pages
Glenelg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Glenelg, Australia"
- "Reliving my childhood memories"
- "Adelaide's Beachside Town"
- "Glenelg - Adelaide's Historical Port"
- "Birth place of South Australia"
- "GLENELG...ADELAIDE ..SOUTH AUSTRALIA.."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glenelg
- Hotels in Glenelg
- Transportation in Glenelg
- Nightlife in Glenelg
- Restaurants in Glenelg
- Shopping in Glenelg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glenelg
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Glenelg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glenelg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Stavanger Intro, 28 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Drangedal Intro, 32 reviews, 95 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar Intro, 15 reviews, 86 photos, 4 travelogues
- Dombås Intro, 14 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Kragerø Intro, 39 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Redwood National Park Intro, 9 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kotor Intro, 17 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sarajevo Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naroden Park Vitosha Intro, 11 reviews, 61 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cavtat Intro, 13 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue