"Thailand:" Thailand by Homanded
Thailand Travel Guide: 31,047 reviews and 78,207 photos
Most people that come to Thailand do so to bask in it's beautiful beaches or, for the wonderful shopping in Bangkok. There is so much more to see and do in Thailand. Our most memorable experiences will be of the "last minute decisions" and places we were not originally intending to visit.
The true beauty of Thailand lies with it's people, it's colorful behind the scenes way of everyday life as well as the openess of locals wanting to share their own insider tips on the best restaurant, nightspot or personal place of worship.
Once you have established what your personal "must see" thing about Thailand is, don't be afraid to jump on a train and explore outside of Bangkok or, to walk into a restaurant outside of your hotel.
Go to the floating market and stay awake during the 1 hour bus ride so you can get a feel of what people continue to live like to this day outside of the city.
Make friends with your Taxi driver/Tuk Tuk driver and engage them in conversation. Learn about their culture and, more importantly, from the moment you step off the plane, learn to say Hello, Thank you and Please in their language!
Always become a goodwill ambassador to your own country when visiting another.
Thailand's people, from the locals at the markets to the Hilltribes are amongst the friendliest we've encountered. Even those bent on making a sale, were always willing to take a moment to direct us the right way when we were looking for a point of reference or had lost our way back to our hotel..
It amazed us that even some of the Karem (Long necked women) in the Hilltribe knew a little bit of English and some spanish. We were able to openly ask about their culture and they seemed to welcome the interest rather than just posing for pictures as many tourists seem to do. Engage them in conversation, it will make them feel as they are more than just a photographic trophy to your vacation album!
Carry candy, gum or other small tokens for their little ones. Children would flock around us when we'd produce candy and Wai at us thankfully. Parents seemed genuinely surprised (as were we) that "Westerners" had taken the time to remember the little ones and smiled warmly in return. In Ayutthaya, we had a little girl give us a Lotus blossom present in return for our kindness...one she managed to retrieve after scurrying down the steep temple steps and back up,merely to thank us for having remembered her! It is these experiences that will be etched in our minds, much more so than scenic beauty of it all. It is the moments we shared with new friends, both Thais and Westerners over drinks/dinner or day of exploration.
Finally, the food and atmosphere of "Most" of Thailand lends itself to good fun, relaxing times and a wonderful opportunity to sample new things.
From fancier restaurants to true and tried familiar places that you probably have back home.
Drinks by your poolside, or, long days of sunning on the beach.
The waters are excellent for snorkeling and the service, in all places we frequented was not only fantastic but very affordable by Western standards. Come with an open mind, don't be bogged down by strict itineraries and make the most of your "Last minute decisions"...turn them into opportunities!
- Pros:Affordable, great service, good food, catering to all interest levels
- Cons:Bargaining is a way of life...alot of Scams and Cons from unriliable sources. Do your Homework!!!
- In a nutshell:Thailand has more than meets the eye...get out and explore entire Country
This was our favorite hotel in our month long stay of hotels in Asia. Incredible room, great staff, wonderful food and... more travel advice
Although cute, monkeys in certain parts of Thailand have become a nuisance. They can be dangerous and obnoxious as they... more travel advice
- See All Adult Entertainment Abounds !!!
- See All Need a complete guide to ALL of...
- See All BEST restaurant guide I've found
- See All Airport baggage storage
Homanded's Related Pages
Thailand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Thailand - BpraThetThai"
- "Beautiful Thailand!!"
- "Siam - Land of the Smiles"
- "*The Land of Smiles"
- "Thailand, great time but not again"
- "but where is your soul?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thailand
- Hotels in Thailand
- Transportation in Thailand
- Nightlife in Thailand
- Restaurants in Thailand
- Shopping in Thailand
- Warnings and Dangers in Thailand
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thailand
- 35 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 733 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Thailand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thailand
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 63 reviews, 133 photos, 14 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Wyoming Intro, 9 reviews, 86 photos, 6 travelogues
- China Intro, 33 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 12 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboseli National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 42 photos
- Bali Intro, 8 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seattle 15 reviews, 27 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (88)
Top Thailand hotels
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10207 Reviews - 22513 Photos
- Ko Samui Hotels
- 1125 Reviews - 2469 Photos
- Pattaya Hotels
- 914 Reviews - 2280 Photos
- Hat Yai Hotels
- 374 Reviews - 706 Photos
- Chiang Mai Hotels
- 1854 Reviews - 4692 Photos
- Hua Hin Hotels
- 586 Reviews - 1118 Photos
- Ko Samet Hotels
- 247 Reviews - 621 Photos
- Nakhon Ratchasima Hotels
- 129 Reviews - 373 Photos
- Ko Phi Phi Don Hotels
- 487 Reviews - 1361 Photos
- Ko Phangan Hotels
- 393 Reviews - 818 Photos
- Khon Kaen Hotels
- 92 Reviews - 260 Photos
- Ko Chang Hotels
- 224 Reviews - 561 Photos
- Ban Lamai Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 13 Photos
- Kanchanaburi Hotels
- 462 Reviews - 1329 Photos
- Chiang Rai Hotels
- 230 Reviews - 672 Photos