"Old Campuchia" Cambodia by Homanded
Cambodia Travel Guide: 8,781 reviews and 24,681 photos
We loved everything about Cambodia. There are alot of "minor" situations that, once you get used to, become an enhancement to your experience. The main thing is, go with the flow, enjoy the moment and appreciate what you're seeing.
The history of Cambodia is quite amazing and, considering what the people have been through, they are amazingly rescilient and we found, willing to accept us with open arms.
I suggest you read up on the history of Cambodia before you go!!! It will enrich your sense of being there.
With so many temples to choose from in Cambodia - (*but all touristy), one can easily get "templed" out after a couple of days. Thankfully, a host of other activities such as shows, river / lake cruises are always available to break up the monotony. Hints we learned as photographers: Light is Best at Angkor Thom in the morning, Angkor Wat in the afternoon. May seem trivial but, for a photographer, it is crucial! When traveling to temples, we didn't find it necessary to use a guide. Renting a car and driver was $15-20 USD per day. Driver was full of information and, we used a "pocket guide" to verify, read further. A personalized guide would've been approx. $20.00 additional. We found Temples incredibly easy to explore and (I probably shouldn't admit to this) on ocassion, we found ourselves "hanging around" a bit longer at a specific area where an English speaking guide for a large tour company happened to be giving out pertinent details about a temple carving, etc....
You will need to purchase either a 1 day, 3 or 7 day pass. Tickets are required to enter the Angkor area which also includes entrance to Bantan Srei. They are on sale to foreigners at the front gate for 1 (US$20), 3 (US$40), or 7 (US$60) consecutive days A passport picture is required and an additional $1.00 MAY be asked to have taken. You will be issued your pass which is laminated in plastic and MUST carry it with you at all times. They punch a hole on top of the pass which makes tying a shoestring a convinient way of "wearing" your pass. Also, this will save you time in having to fish around your backpack, knapsack, purse or pocket each time you arrive at a different sight. Also, the risk of losing the pass is lessened.
- Pros:People are friendly, Temples are beautiful, Rich History and great food.
- Cons:Everything is in US Dollars, Cambodians should be promoting their own currency. Many Europeans felt slighted in Cambodia's lack of accepting Euro Also: by comparison, Cambodia is more expensive than other places in Asia, though still affordable.
- In a nutshell:Give a little...Gain alot
Proper temple ettiquette is something tourists often inquire about. I'm a firm believer that, before entering someone's... more travel advice
The owner of this establishment owns several other hotels/restaurants throughout Germany. Of Cambodian nationality, he... more travel advice
Homanded's Related Pages
Cambodia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MORE THAN JUST THE ANGKOR TEMPLES"
- "The country of Angkor"
- "Angkor Archeological Park, Cambodia"
- "Sharrie's Cambodia Dignity"
- "Cambodia 2002"
- "Ancient temples and smiling Khmers"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cambodia
- Hotels in Cambodia
- Transportation in Cambodia
- Nightlife in Cambodia
- Restaurants in Cambodia
- Shopping in Cambodia
- Warnings and Dangers in Cambodia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cambodia
- 14 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 152 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Cambodia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cambodia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 65 reviews, 133 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Wyoming Intro, 9 reviews, 86 photos, 6 travelogues
- China Intro, 33 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 12 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboseli National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 42 photos
- Bali Intro, 8 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seattle 15 reviews, 27 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos