"Old Campuchia" Cambodia by Homanded

Cambodia Travel Guide: 8,511 reviews and 23,752 photos

We loved everything about Cambodia. There are alot of "minor" situations that, once you get used to, become an enhancement to your experience. The main thing is, go with the flow, enjoy the moment and appreciate what you're seeing.
The history of Cambodia is quite amazing and, considering what the people have been through, they are amazingly rescilient and we found, willing to accept us with open arms.
I suggest you read up on the history of Cambodia before you go!!! It will enrich your sense of being there.

With so many temples to choose from in Cambodia - (*but all touristy), one can easily get "templed" out after a couple of days. Thankfully, a host of other activities such as shows, river / lake cruises are always available to break up the monotony. Hints we learned as photographers: Light is Best at Angkor Thom in the morning, Angkor Wat in the afternoon. May seem trivial but, for a photographer, it is crucial! When traveling to temples, we didn't find it necessary to use a guide. Renting a car and driver was $15-20 USD per day. Driver was full of information and, we used a "pocket guide" to verify, read further. A personalized guide would've been approx. $20.00 additional. We found Temples incredibly easy to explore and (I probably shouldn't admit to this) on ocassion, we found ourselves "hanging around" a bit longer at a specific area where an English speaking guide for a large tour company happened to be giving out pertinent details about a temple carving, etc....

You will need to purchase either a 1 day, 3 or 7 day pass. Tickets are required to enter the Angkor area which also includes entrance to Bantan Srei. They are on sale to foreigners at the front gate for 1 (US$20), 3 (US$40), or 7 (US$60) consecutive days A passport picture is required and an additional $1.00 MAY be asked to have taken. You will be issued your pass which is laminated in plastic and MUST carry it with you at all times. They punch a hole on top of the pass which makes tying a shoestring a convinient way of "wearing" your pass. Also, this will save you time in having to fish around your backpack, knapsack, purse or pocket each time you arrive at a different sight. Also, the risk of losing the pass is lessened.

• Pros:People are friendly, Temples are beautiful, Rich History and great food.
  • Cons:Everything is in US Dollars, Cambodians should be promoting their own currency. Many Europeans felt slighted in Cambodia's lack of accepting Euro Also: by comparison, Cambodia is more expensive than other places in Asia, though still affordable.
  • In a nutshell:Give a little...Gain alot
  • Last visit to Cambodia: Jun 2005
  • Intro Written Jul 23, 2005

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM

great page!

• Homanded's Profile Photo
      Dec 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Thank you Jim for visiting our Cambodia pages, a place very dear to us.

• moirholj's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2009 at 6:26 PM

Loved your Cambodia pages... Esp. your thoughts on the begging and how to deal with it. I was just there in December and couldn't agree more with your thoughts! cheers.

• albaaust's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2007 at 2:39 AM

Great tips once again..Cambodia seems to be very much like Burma in terms of the begging. Alice

• Elodie_Caroline's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2007 at 2:24 AM

I thought it was about time I added you to my hit list! LOL. I've got to come back to this page later, a place I'd love to see in this life, but know I never will :-)

• May 8, 2007 at 2:25 AM

Thanks for the info and tips. It really help make the trip planning seem easier and not so daunting.

• hass74's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 8:10 AM

thanks for the info. will be arriving in phom penh in less than 48hrs.

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2007 at 6:41 PM

Hmmm, what if I prefer an AVERAGE sausage?? Can I exchange it?

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2007 at 2:38 AM

Looks like you guys had a great time. Fantastic tips you have here ;-)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2007 at 5:04 PM

Nice page!

• Maxus's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2007 at 5:37 AM

I like your style, entertaining and informative, well done.

Homanded

“To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer”

Badges & Stats in Cambodia

Have you been to Cambodia?

Latest Activity in Cambodia