Masai Mara Game Reserve Tourist Trap Tips by Homanded Top 5 Page for this destination
Masai Mara Game Reserve Tourist Traps: 15 reviews and 26 photos
Your guide, no matter how much you beg and plead, will make the obligatory shopping stop.
This will be disguised as a bathroom or drink stop.
You will soon notice him stopping ONLY at shopping venues where the restroom in in the back - waaaaaaaaaay back behind a virtual obstacle course of trinkets, wares, carvings, pictures and various other sundries designed to make you strike up bargaining.
Shop vendors are very adept at making you feel obligated to shop in their store after you've utilized their rest room and face it, after a 4 - 6 hour bumpy ride, down a horribly built road with your bladder feeling as it will burst at any given time, you're apt to agree to anything if only they will let you make it to the end of that tunnel...
Unique Suggestions: make NO eye contact, with ANYONE! Do NOT ask for directions to the bathroom. Instead, look for arrows, crude pictures resembling a man or woman or, other such male/female symbol to indicate the general direction of the bathroom.
Trust me, it will be in the waaaaaaaay back of the shop.
You might as well save your shopping til you've emptied your body and you have a clearer mind as your driver will be no where to be found after you've finished, having conviniently sneaked off to God only knows where on the property hoping to give you enough time to be pressured into a sale for which he will make a commission!
If you wish to enter into barter or, should you be caught eyeing something, under no circumstances pay more than 50% original asking price - sometimes as low as 40%!
Enter into bartering in the following manner:
They: Hello Meeester; US $120.00
You: WHAT!?! NO thanks! I had trhe same thing offered to me in the Mara for 20 dollars!
They: No, no no meester, they cheap, mine good, you name price
You: I already did, 20 dollars!
They: ok ok, i come up, you come down...I say 80.00
You: Nah, I say 40.00, final price
They: No meester, i need more, i tell you, mine is good, name new price. I say 70.00
You: Ok, 55.00 final answer
They: NO meester, 70.00
You: Goodbye, not interested (you walk away)
They: $#$*(!#$# (Swahili for God knows wat) but chasing after you...Ok meester ok, 50.00!
Fun Alternatives: Alternative is: Do as little drinking as possible. If you must use the bathroom, let your guide know you have NO interest in buying. You wish to continue on your way as soon as you're done.
Walk past everyone on way in and out (it is not considered rude to ignore - it comes with the territory of being a vendor).
Jump right back into the van and refuse to move!
Although "sold" as an authentic, working Masai village; one later finds out that few if any Masaai actually live in such places. Only an ocassional nomadic elder tending to his goats and cattle.
Most now own cellphones, have computer access and attend public school.
They conviniently show up for scheduled tourist trips to sell their wares, talk about Masaai culture and do traditional dancing.
More Reviews (28)
- See All PHOTOGRAPHING THE MARA - PT 2...
- See All Tilly Airflo hat a MUST !!!
- Hippos and Crocs at the Mara River
- See All Bathrooms - FEW and FAR between
- See All Do NOTHING! Just relax!
Homanded's Related Pages
Masai Mara Game Reserve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Masai Mara"
- "Croc & Wilderbeast Battle / Mara River 10/19/05"
- "Magical Masai Mara"
- "Plains of Passage"
- "How to See Masai Mara Game Reserve On Your Own"
- "Masai Mara - Migration and More"
- "Masai Mara Game Reserve"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Hotels in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Transportation in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Nightlife in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Restaurants in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Shopping in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Warnings and Dangers in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- See All...
Explore the World
- Whitehouse Hotels
- Cachuma Village
- Tambunan Hotels
- Rhinebeck Hotels
- Plakias Hotels
Badges & Stats in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- 30 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (41)
Have you been to Masai Mara Game Reserve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Posted in Travel Costa Rica Forum "Re: Best Location"
- Wrote a Review PHOTOGRAPHING THE MARA - PT 2 (COMPOSITION) in Masai Mara Game Reserve Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "PHOTOGRAPHY IN THE MARA"
- Commented on one of Krumel's Masai Mara Game Reserve travel pages
- updated a Masai Mara Game Reserve Travel Page "Plains of Passage"
Photos in Masai Mara Game ReserveSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Intro, 64 reviews, 133 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 30 reviews, 90 photos
- Wyoming Intro, 9 reviews, 86 photos, 6 travelogues
- China Intro, 33 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Thailand Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lake Nakuru National Park Intro, 12 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amboseli National Park Intro, 13 reviews, 42 photos
- Bali Intro, 8 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Seattle 15 reviews, 27 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (82)
Latest Masai Mara Game Reserve hotel reviews
- Keekorok Lodge
- 337 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Fig Tree Camp
- 138 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Fairmont Mara Safari Club
- 205 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Mara Explorer Camp
- 156 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Mara Simba Lodge
- 161 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Mara Sopa Lodge
- 239 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Mara Buffalo Camp
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 23, 2009
- Naibor Camp
- 160 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Kichwa Tembo Tented Safari Camp
- 225 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- Governors' IlMoran Camp
- 126 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Governor's Camp
- 415 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Karen Blixen Camp
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Mara Timbo Camp
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2013