"Katmai National Park and Preserve" Katmai National Park and Preserve by MTrav
Katmai National Park and Preserve Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 24 photos
Katmai National Park and Preserve is a large park located about 250 miles west of Anchorage, and about 100 miles east of Bristol Bay. This is roughly the area where the Aluetian island chain connects with mainland Alaska.
This is an amazing region of active volcanoes, forests, lakes, and wildlife.
One of many things that makes Katmai unique is that you can only get there by floatplane. (Unless you happen to have a boat on the Naknek river.)
Nearly 100 years ago an enormous volcanic eruption occurred in this area, depositing a layer of pumice, 150 feet deep in places, above a wet glacial valley. When the area was explored a few years later, water was still steaming up through the hot pumice via thousands of vents. The Valley of 10,000 Smokes described the area well and the name stuck, although the area no longer has any steaming vents.
The fascinating geology was the initial justification for designating the area as a national park. It was mistakenly assumed that Katmai volcano had erupted, although it was later determined to be a nearby volcano which was named Novarupta.
Most people are attracted to Katmai NP for the exceptional wildlife. Brown Bears, in particular, converge on the Naknek Lake area and prosper on the rich Salmon runs during the summer.
The local wildlife makes a visit here most unique. Becuase of the high concentration of bears, every activity revolves around the bears, and close encounters are a daily occurrence.
- Pros:Peaceful, isolated, lots of Bears and Salmon
- Cons:Mosquitoes and biting flies
- In a nutshell:An experience of a lifetime
Something you can carry for a good distance. A small backpack or bag for hikes and the floatplane ride. If you are... more travel advice
The camping area at Brooks camp is separated from the park service cabin and dining hall by about 1/4 mile. A trail... more travel advice
MTrav's Related Pages
Katmai National Park and Preserve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Katmai National Park and Preserve"
- Create a Katmai National Park and Preserve Travel Page
- Things to Do in Katmai National Park and Preserve
- Hotels in Katmai National Park and Preserve
- Transportation in Katmai National Park and Preserve
- Restaurants in Katmai National Park and Preserve
- Warnings and Dangers in Katmai National Park and Preserve
- See All...
Explore the World
- Port Arthur Hotels
- Freeport District
- Porto Cristo Hotels
- Newport News
- Horseshoe Beach
- San Jose
- Castleblayney Hotels
- Isla de Janitzio Hotels
- Iserlohn Hotels
- Le Crotoy
- Curimagua Hotels
- Zanzibar Island
- Provincia de Puerto Plata
- Gouvernorat de Bizerte
Badges & Stats in Katmai National Park and Preserve
- 14 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Katmai National Park and Preserve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Katmai National Park and Preserve
Photos in Katmai National Park and PreserveSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Alaska Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos
- Katmai National Park and Preserve Intro, 14 reviews, 19 photos
- Sitka Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fairbanks Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Puerto Rico Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Aguadilla Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chena Hot Springs Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Churchill Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dawson Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos