"Chena Hot Springs" Top 5 Page for this destination Chena Hot Springs by MTrav
Chena Hot Springs Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 81 photos
Chena Hot Springs is about 65 miles northeast of Fairbanks. A high quality, maintained road leads fom the Steese highway just outside of town to the springs.
This is one of the more accessible and popular hot springs in Alaska. You can drive there anytime of the year, but in the winter the road gets icy, so youll have to slow down. Its a very nice drive. The road follows the Chena river for about 55 miles. In the summertime, you are likely to see Moose and Beaver, and there are some fine campsites along the way.
In the wintertime you may be able to watch the aurora from the outdoor pond.
As the road travels farther up the Chena river, it also penetrates the southern edge of the White mountains. There is good hiking here in the summer, and great aurora viewing in the wintertime.
It costs about 14 $ for each adult to visit the springs. There are nice hotel rooms available, along with some local activities, such as massages and dog mushing rides, if you are staying for a day or two. In the early spring there is a snow machine contest. There is a decent restaurant and a new ice museum / ice hotel that Ive never been inside.
Overall, Chena used to be cheaper and more local, and its been gradually getting more popular and more expensive. The completion of the outdoor pond was a great improvement.
- Pros:Nearby, inexpensive to get to
- Cons:A dark, icy drive in the winter
- In a nutshell:Very relaxing
Flying the Chena river from Fairbanks to the resort is a short, pleasant trip. The resort maintains a 3000 foot gravel... more travel advice
From Fairbanks, drive north on the Steese highway a few miles. From there, its about 56 miles northeast on Chena Hot... more travel advice
MTrav's Related Pages
Chena Hot Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chena Hot Springs Resort"
- "Ah to relax..."
- "Winter Paradise"
- "Chena Hot Springs"
- "Chena Hot Spring"
- "Relaxing moment"
- "Spend a day swimming in the wilderness"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chena Hot Springs
- Hotels in Chena Hot Springs
- Transportation in Chena Hot Springs
- Nightlife in Chena Hot Springs
- Restaurants in Chena Hot Springs
- Shopping in Chena Hot Springs
- Warnings and Dangers in Chena Hot Springs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chena Hot Springs
- 7 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Chena Hot Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chena Hot Springs
Photos in Chena Hot SpringsSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Alaska Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos
- Katmai National Park and Preserve Intro, 14 reviews, 19 photos
- Sitka Intro, 10 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fairbanks Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Puerto Rico Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Aguadilla Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chena Hot Springs Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos
- Churchill Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dawson Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos