"Amazing Amelia Island....Atlantic jewel" Top 5 Page for this destination Amelia Island by SONG
Amelia Island Travel Guide: 74 reviews and 211 photos
Ahhhh......is there anything more alluring , refreshing, and relaxing than the beach? I think not. Surf, sand, seas, sun, and smiles all combine to make the shoreline my most enjoyable vacation. Guess that is why I live in Florida where even in the middle of the state I can be to either coast in one to two hours. On the east side is the Atlantic with its waves and on the western side is the calm Gulf of Mexico. Amelia Island has lovely white beaches which offer shells for the amusement of those strolling the sands. An occasional shark's tooth can be found on the shoreline. Finding one of these shark's teeth is an intensive labor of love. I personally have never found one because I don't have the patience. But many people make this a "must-do" on their beach walks. Come on by and you'll see the charm for yourself.
Amelia Island is a quaint island on the northernmost part of Florida, on the eastern seaboard Atlantic side. It is tucked far enough "in" from the major current of the Atlantic that it is seldom hit with hurricanes. It does get "colder" (always a relative term for Floridians) than the rest of Florida in the winter, but its summer breezes are refreshing. There is one large paper mill on the island and you will see large flatbed trucks hauling lengths of timber to the mill daily. And if the wind is right, you can catch a whiff of the chemicals and wood being transformed into paper. Not always a pleasant smell.......:-)
There are two distinct sections of the island where you find the older Victorian homes. One section is on the north side of town and has a "reputation" that that section was where "the ladies of the night" worked and lived. The other section is the "proper" section and has larger and nicer homes, some of which are private residences and others are bed and breakfasts. It would be difficult to choose which one you like the most since there are so many which are still beautiful. And while we're talking about history, I'll mention the night tour through the cemetery where I'm told you might encounter a ghost or two. Be wary!
- Pros:Small-town atmosphere, friendly people and merchants, right on the beach, stone's throw to Georgia.
- Cons:Major malls not on island , this may be a pro :-).
- In a nutshell:Easily accessible and relaxing for even a weekend get-away. Slower pace of life. enjoy!
While visiting Amelia Island, take a moment to visit one of the local furniture shops and get a feel for the local... more travel advice
If you are driving to Amelia Island from the Mayport, Florida area, it is a treat to take the ferry over the inland... more travel advice
SONG's Related Pages
Amelia Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Northernmost Florida"
- "More than just beaches, golf and resorts"
- "Amazing Amelia Island....Atlantic jewel"
- "Amelia Island"
- "Amelia Island & Fernandina Beach, Florida"
- "Lighthouse hunting!!"
- "OMNI AMELIA ISLAND PLANTATION"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amelia Island
- Hotels in Amelia Island
- Transportation in Amelia Island
- Restaurants in Amelia Island
- Shopping in Amelia Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Amelia Island
- 7 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Amelia Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amelia Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 11 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Palm Island Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos
- Chicago Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amelia Island Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos
- Key West Intro, 2 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Orlando Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fort Lauderdale Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos
- Santa Barbara Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Little Palm Island Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Florida Intro, 1 review
FriendsSee All Friends (128)
Latest Amelia Island hotel reviews