"Quaint "Olde England" feeling in Carmel, CA" Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea by SONG
Carmel-by-the-Sea Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 1,055 photos
The beach is just one of the many reasons I love Carmel. The town itself
sits upon a hillside and the east / west streets of the main part of town
run down to the Pacific. Ocean Blvd is the main street of town and it
runs straight down to the beach, where you will see people of all ages
walking, throwing frisbes, walking their dogs, building sand castles, eating lunch, reading, whatever......Dogs are NOT discouraged on this beach and people simply love the idea. You will also see the young people
surfing the waves and having a blast. There is usually a "starving artist" on the beach painstakingly building "sand sculptures" which he will NOT
let you photograph without first slipping him a few dollars......he will
stand in the way of the picture.....lol.
Sunset is one of the best times to be on the beach and it attracts numerous folks who ohhh and ahhh at the beauty.
Don't come to this wonderfully quaint town of Carmel and its beach unless you wish to "fall in love" and have a heart's desire to constantly return.
I am hooked......and will continue to return to my California Love....
and yes San Francisco is a close second....but I left MY heart in Carmel!!!!!
Strolling amongst the thatched roof shops of Carmel, you will feel like
you are in merry Ole England. Most shops are simply small boutique type
shops which specialize in such things are sunglasses, sportswear, candles,
pastries, garden items, shoes, women's clothes, gourmet deli shops,
English tea rooms, men's clothes, French imports, etc. The Tuck Box Inn
is one of the best known eateries in Carmel and it is similar to an English
tea room, with its specialty being scones. The jams for the scones are usually made from local berries and packaged for you to take home with you. You can eat inside the small tea room or on the outside brick patio where the birds will help you with those scones!! Don't miss this fine and enjoyable eatery.
A majority of the shops in the village have gorgeous flowers in containers in front of the shop. No two displays appear to be the same and all are beautiful. The shop owners also indulge the fancy of both locals and visitors by providing water bowls for the ever-present and popular dogs. Plural. You will see the locals out on the beach in the early morning walking aka running the dogs and throwing tennis balls for them to fetch.
What a life!
- Pros:Quaint village full of fabulous art , friendly shops, beach, ocean, sunsets.
- Cons:No fast food anywhere but plenty of wonderful eateries.
- In a nutshell:Doggie friendly town full of treasure that will capture your heart. I love this place!!!
Just north of Carmel is the world-famous 17 Mile Drive. There is a $9.50 entrance fee at the entry gate, but it is well... more travel advice
You could almost say they "roll up the streets in Carmel at night" but that is not entirely true. It IS a quiet little... more travel advice
SONG's Related Pages
Carmel-by-the-Sea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carmel By the Sea"
- "Quaint "Olde England" feeling in Carmel, CA"
- "Storybook Beach Town"
- "On the California Central Coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Hotels in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Transportation in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Nightlife in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Restaurants in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Shopping in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Warnings and Dangers in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- 11 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Carmel-by-the-Sea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carmel-by-the-Sea
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Search and rescue effort..."
- Commented on one of SONG's Carmel-by-the-Sea tips
- updated a Carmel-by-the-Sea Travelogue "Strolling and Shopping in Pacific Grove, CA"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Strolling and Shopping in Pacific Grove, CA"
- Wrote a Review Pebble Beach and surrounds about Pebble Beach in Carmel-by-the-Sea Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea Intro, 11 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Palm Island Intro, 4 reviews, 21 photos
- Chicago Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amelia Island Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos
- Key West Intro, 2 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Orlando Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fort Lauderdale Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos
- Santa Barbara Intro, 1 review, 6 photos
- Little Palm Island Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Florida Intro, 1 review