"Quaint "Olde England" feeling in Carmel, CA" Top 5 Page for this destination Carmel-by-the-Sea by SONG

Carmel-by-the-Sea Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 1,055 photos

Carmel-by-the-Sea, California

The beach is just one of the many reasons I love Carmel. The town itself
sits upon a hillside and the east / west streets of the main part of town
run down to the Pacific. Ocean Blvd is the main street of town and it
runs straight down to the beach, where you will see people of all ages
walking, throwing frisbes, walking their dogs, building sand castles, eating lunch, reading, whatever......Dogs are NOT discouraged on this beach and people simply love the idea. You will also see the young people
surfing the waves and having a blast. There is usually a "starving artist" on the beach painstakingly building "sand sculptures" which he will NOT
let you photograph without first slipping him a few dollars......he will
stand in the way of the picture.....lol.
Sunset is one of the best times to be on the beach and it attracts numerous folks who ohhh and ahhh at the beauty.
Don't come to this wonderfully quaint town of Carmel and its beach unless you wish to "fall in love" and have a heart's desire to constantly return.
I am hooked......and will continue to return to my California Love....
and yes San Francisco is a close second....but I left MY heart in Carmel!!!!!

The shops of Carmel, California

Strolling amongst the thatched roof shops of Carmel, you will feel like
you are in merry Ole England. Most shops are simply small boutique type
shops which specialize in such things are sunglasses, sportswear, candles,
pastries, garden items, shoes, women's clothes, gourmet deli shops,
English tea rooms, men's clothes, French imports, etc. The Tuck Box Inn
is one of the best known eateries in Carmel and it is similar to an English
tea room, with its specialty being scones. The jams for the scones are usually made from local berries and packaged for you to take home with you. You can eat inside the small tea room or on the outside brick patio where the birds will help you with those scones!! Don't miss this fine and enjoyable eatery.

Flowers everywhere

A majority of the shops in the village have gorgeous flowers in containers in front of the shop. No two displays appear to be the same and all are beautiful. The shop owners also indulge the fancy of both locals and visitors by providing water bowls for the ever-present and popular dogs. Plural. You will see the locals out on the beach in the early morning walking aka running the dogs and throwing tennis balls for them to fetch.
What a life!

• Pros:Quaint village full of fabulous art , friendly shops, beach, ocean, sunsets.
  • Cons:No fast food anywhere but plenty of wonderful eateries.
  • In a nutshell:Doggie friendly town full of treasure that will capture your heart. I love this place!!!
  • Last visit to Carmel-by-the-Sea: Nov 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 15, 2011

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I did a road trip from San Francisco to The Hearst Castle, spending the night in Carmel, about 16 years ago. Always remember how gorgeous this part of the country is and always want to return!

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Great page! I was in Carmel 11 years ago and loved it!

• lisa85202's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Very nice job on Carmel! I did love it as well, I just wish the skies were clear on the day I was there...Thanks for your advice in/around Orlando..!!

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Nice pics Kathy of a favorite place...alan

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I went to Carmel in 1996. I think about how wonderful it is and how much I want to return. If I do, I want to go to the hotel you stayed in!

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2011 at 5:04 AM

I lived in Monterey before and I love Carmel-by-the-Sea... I love your page too!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2011 at 10:37 AM

That page is well done Kathy In 2004 we die a trip in that area and stayed overnight in Monterey I can;t remember if we stopped at Carmel by the sea Lori saya that Pebble Beach is nearby there as well (the Golf place ) Beautiful area eh Kathy

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Hello, Kathy! Great story, Ms.Charter VT Member! ><><><><

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Kathy, glad you enjoyed the Highlands Inn with a great view of the Ocean. Good restaurant tips to boot! :-)

• valerie7277's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Beautiful description! :)

SONG

“I'm a happy camper when I am on a BEACH....anywhere. ”

Badges & Stats in Carmel-by-the-Sea

Have you been to Carmel-by-the-Sea?

Photos in Carmel-by-the-Sea