"Welcome to SONG's HomePage" SONG's Profile

VT Membership History..16 years!!! Charter Member

In early 1998 I joined Virtual Tourist when it was JUST beginning. In fact, I believe I am among the FIRST 3-4-5 or 6 members! Joining the chatroom, I was addicted!!!. I chatted with people around the world and we had such fun in there.....laughed, joked, and compared countries. The first Christmas we had a virtual Christmas party and everyone brought "something to eat and drink". Athena and I declared ourselves the "hostesses" and invited everyone......Why we even had mistletoe and that's when things got "out of hand"...lol. When I first started chatting, I noticed someone in the room named Big Sky and he NEVER chatted. Just sat there lilke a bump on a log. THEN one day he surprised all of us and said something. I realized that he was the "moderator" who kept everyone in line. Because
I was in there SOOOO much, Big Sky, the moderator at the time, made me a moderator also. There were three other VTers who were made moderators at that time and everyone became "bestest" friends. We knew each other so well and even got into heated discussions. We gave sympathetic advice to friends going through difficult times. One of the chatters named Courtney_KS was going through a divorce and met VTer Podge from Ireland. Today they are happily married and living in her Kansas. You can see pics of them under her page. Sometimes the topics were silly and other times they were quite serious and intellectual. But either way, we always had a fabulous time. Now more than 14 years later, many of those original chatters are still in here in VT. In the original chat room you could enter as "guest" . Of course, everyone encouraged you to stay and to select a nickname. Since I was living in Nashville, Tennessee (Music City USA) I decided to select a nickname related to that. So I decided on SONG. I see only a handful of the original members. I do keep in touch with a couple and that is fun. And over the years I have been able to meet some in person. At first I was really reticent to do so, but am glad I have. I have met wonderful and friendly people.

My stats show that I've only been to 2 countires. I have been to probably 30 but I have not written tips or travelogues about them because I lived in Europe so long ago that anything I said would be outdated. And I have not written about the Hawaii or Caribbean or Canada for the same reason. Most of my travels lately have been stateside. So don't pay any attention to the number of countries I 've been to. :-)

P.S. If you haven't noticed a 'theme" to all my pictures, let me give you a clue. I love the beach and ocean. The Sunshine Kid from the Sunshine State.......Florida. And now (spring 2012) I have a brand new Convertible and I have named it "Sunshine" because 1.) it brings "sunshine" (happiness) into my life 2.) it brings the real sun into my life and
3.) I live in the Sunshine state. What better name for my car?????
I'm loving "tooling aorund" in my new toy. :-)
Here's Sunshine......http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/97/ba504/

I found the following on the internet and copied it from MSN interior / decor.
I think it describes me.
Does it describe you?

12 signs you're meant to have a beach house.

1. You proudly display your seashell collection throughout the house
2. You’re crazy for coral, too!
3. Although you prefer stepping on sand, your flooring is either jute or limestone.

4. Paintings of boats and beaches cover your walls
5. White walls paired with white upholstery, to some is plain, to you it’s everything.
6. Even though you don’t have palm trees swaying in your backyard, they're growing inside.

7. You’ve never met a peacock chair you didn’t like.
8. At your house, every meal is eaten with bamboo flatware.
9. Blue and white, blue and white, blue and white! Waves crashing onto a white sand beach is your home's color muse.
10. Sun-soaked rooms are essential to your happiness.
11. If it's wrapped in rope (frames, flower pots, mirrors—you name it!) you'll buy it.
12. As far as you’re concerned, it’s 5 o’clock somewhere!

Moonlight and Palm Trees

My idea of relaxing is somewhere near a beach. Swaying palm trees, a little moonlght , the sound of the surf, and sand between your toes. Strolling along the incoming waves and thinking of nothing but ..........nothing! :-)
This photo was taken near the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida on a warm November 73 degree night. I could handle this 365. Yes.
Florida enjoys breezy and tropical weather much of the year. There IS a reason we are called The Sunshine State. I threw the boots and gloves away when I moved to Florida and never looked back. The only snow and ice you'll see around our Christmas is the artificial stuff. Folks are usually out in bermudas and short sleeves even at Christmas time. But, never worry. We DO put up Christmas trees. And sing, "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas (not)".....lol

Travel and other interests.....

I have not traveled as much lately as I would like. Most of my travels abroad were done a few years back when I lived in Europe for 3 years. I traveled extensively in Europe and saw almost all of the "free countries". I did not travel to any of the "Communist block" countries at the time. I still take the local/nearby trips with friends to check out what is going on locally. I also love to make quick weekend trips to either Florida coast as well as the occasional get-away vacation to my favorite little village....Carmel, California. But I have not taken a long trip such as to Europe for quite a while. Who knows? Perhaps I will be inspired to attend one of the VT Euromeets.......In the meantime, I keep busy with both work, family, and interests. I love entertaining and decorating for it. I enjoy what I call "tablescapes" , similar to landscapes or lightscapes, but done with dining tables and linens, china, glasses, flowers, candles, napkins, and something special for each occasion. I have one table setting to show you . If you have ever heard of Colin Cowie, then you are familiar with tablescapes. He is seen on Martha Stewart's program frequently with his suggestions. I love planning events and have been told that I should be an"event planner" as a second career. Oh well..........maybe someday. I have posted a few tablescapes in an album below. Just a sampling of my tastes. I hope you enjoy.

Friend, sorority sister, VTer

.A quiet dinner lakeside after returning from a nice get-away vacation to Key West. Just can't get that "ocean" theme out of my system. A lot of my entertaining items reflect the water/ocean/beach. Just love it. Guess that is why I love the Sunshine State.

The Angel Pack...lol Christmas in Orlando 2012

Three of us Orlando gals have decided to call ourselves The
Angel Pack. This nickname originated with a photo with a
George Bush look-alike who wanted to do a Charlie's Angels
pose with two of us gals. Since then we call ourselves The
Angle Pack and have a merry time just having fun. A brunette,
blonde, and redhead. How much trouble can that trio get
into? hhhhhmmmmmmm..............knowing us, lots. :-)

Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic

Surprise, surprise. The Beach Kid loves the beach and beach vacations. I found myself loving the Dominican Republic and its white sand beaches and beautiful aqua waters. The Blue Bay Villas Resort has luxurious 4 poster beds on the beach and you can relax, snooze, read, or simply watch the waves as you lie on the bed. The mattresses and pillows are covered with white naugahide, which is waterproof and easy to clean. And while you're at it, might as well get some beads and braids in your hair........just to blend in with the locals. :-)

Halloween Fun 2014

Even adults, who are kids at heart, enjoy dressing up for Halloween. My friend and I went to Amelia Island over Halloween and donned costumes. Here I am as a fluffy white bunny. In addition to Halloween, the weekend included T H E big Florida / Georgia football game, which is an annual tradition. Florida trounced Georgia 38 to 20. Rah rah rah boom de yah!!!!!!!!!

Beach volleyball played year-round in Florida

Ever wonder why the "snow birds" flock to Florida in the winter time? Well, here is your answer. This is a typical beach volleyball game being played by neighbors on a sunny day. Beautiful blue lake waters reflect the sunshine
and provide a beautiful backdrop for a day in the sun. Who would not like this lifestyle?
Did I mention that this is played year-round? :-)

• Intro Updated Nov 4, 2014

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2014 at 12:25 PM

So you are a UK Ex-pat?

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM

No, just trying to be helpful. Poor soul was not a computer techie, so Blondie here ( a real IT expert!!!!!!! ) stepped up to the plate and helped. :-)

• DAO's Profile Photo
      Yesterday

Gotcha!

• Parisforless's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Happy birthday, wishing you to explore the world!!!

• Paul_Traveler's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2014 at 10:34 AM

belated Happy Birthday.

• jojes's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2014 at 7:25 AM

Hi Kathy. A bit late but still: happy birthday!

• nada1712's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Happy Birthday!

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I also hope that you had a good birthday. I just got back from a trip where the internet connections were few and far between so couldn't be here.

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:47 AM

Thanks Glenn. Always nice to get friend's greetings.

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2014 at 10:30 AM

and before i forget, hope you had a wonderful birthday and with wishes for good health in the upcoming year. n.

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:46 AM

Thanks Lew. Birthdays are always fun.............can't get past that "39" as much as I try! Good health is everything. :-)

• Minceta's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2014 at 6:11 AM

Hi, Kathy! hereby I would like to wish you, with a small delay, a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY AD ALL THE BEST! I hope that you spent a great day. Let's keep in touch, if you want that also.

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:23 AM

Thanks for your Birthday wishes.....yes......another year YOUNGER>>>>>
      will keep in touch. :-)

• Minceta's Profile Photo
      Dec 5, 2014 at 4:35 AM

Great!

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Well, I am only a day or so late which is good for me. I do wish you a very Happy, if belated, Birthday!

Dec 3, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Thanks REx...........better late than never......lol.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Happy birthday , I'm off in London, one more day and then back home!

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:50 AM

Kristi, I ***think*** you live in London!!!!!!! You must love that city. Thanks for taking the time out of your vacation to wish me a happy birthday.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
SONG's Profile Photo

SONG

“Just returned from San Diego and La Jolla. Fun in the Sun. :-)”

Real Name